Distance

During the time I spent at my parents Jackson avoided any topic that was related to Taehyung. I mean Mom and Dad tried, like asking how he was doing, how living together was etc. Jackson would not participate in those conversations. The only thing that eventually left Jackson's mouth was that he would never accept Taehyung, and obviously this resulted in another huge fight between me and him.

I also noticed a slight change in Taehyung's behavior since that call, I knew it bothered him greatly that my family never invited him. That they just couldn't accept him. It worried him because ofcourse you would want the approval of your girlfriends family, especially with an eyes on a future together.

Today I was spending probably the entire day at university. Tonight was a deadline for our work project and there was still a considerate amount of work to be done. I looked at my watch and saw it was already near 19:00, my stomach rumbled but I wanted to finish this. Perhaps I'll get something from the cafeteria and then return to finish the work.

I texted Taehyung that I wouldn't eat at home and got up from my chair. grabbing my bag and wallet. As soon as I walked out my little office I was met by Namjoon who also just locked his office.

    'Hey y/n!'

    'Hey Namjoon' I replied

    'Are you heading out?' he asked. I shook my head 'no I am going to grab some food and then return/'

A smile appeared on Namjoons face 'oh me too, the deadline right' he indicated and I nodded, of course he also as head of the team had enough work to do.

      'Do you want to grab some food together? as we are both heading out now anyways?' he suggested. There was a doubt going through my mind but I waved it away. It was just a quick dinner with a colleague in the university's cafeteria. nothing special.

      'Yeah sure.'

      'Pay separately or together' the cashier asked us when we were at the checkout with our food.

      'sep..'

      'Together' Namjoon indicated. 

    'But sir, you are already paying me, like my wages.'

      'It's fine y/n, you are the student here. We can just call it a "business" dinner so I will sponsor it' He couldn't hold back his own chuckle at calling it that. The dinner went by so fast. Talking with Namjoon went so natural, without effort. I, in a way, already knew this of course; it had been that way when we spent the weekend together.

There was just an undeniable understanding between the two of us. He checked his watch.

     'Oh time is passing fast today. I think we should head back if we want to be in time for this deadline. '

There was a disappointment in his tone that was hard to miss.

      'Yes I agree.' I said to him and we both returned to our own offices.

I arrived home super late as we were really pushing the deadline this time. I tried to be as quiet as possible when I went into bed but my movements seemed to wake Taehyung up.

       'Hey babe, what time is it?' he mumbled, I became soft at his sleepy face.

       'It's 00:30'

       'How was work?' he asked while pulling me closer to him.

       'It was a lot, but we finished in time for the deadline.'

       'Good, and did you eat well?'

       'Yes, uhm I ate with Namjoon, he was also working late.'

There was a silence

        'Only with him?' The sleeplyness seemed to have faded because Taehyung's voice was clear as day.

       'Yes, the others worked from home' I indicated.

        'Why didn't you?'

        'Because I am more focused in my own office. You know this, that's why I also study in the library instead of at home.'

       'You could have gone for food alone'

       'Yes I planned to but I met him on my way there. What should I have done?'

      'Declined eating with him?'

The tone of Taehyung's voice went from sleepy to normal to annoyed very quickly.

      'He is a colleague Taehyung.'

      'Whatever, I am tired' he replied. He rolled the other way and I stared at his back.

The following morning he acted normal again so I also didn't want to bring it up again and perhaps start another argument. It was a minor thing and therefore I would treat it as such. Whenever it was about Namjoon Taehyung just acted so differently, it was a side to him I didn't entirely appreciate.

Later that week I was home early and prepared our food. Taehyung came home and there was this enthusiasm on his face.

      'I have decided to do another art exhibition!' he exclaimed happily.

      'That's great news! Are Yoongi and Jungkook joining again?' I asked

Taehyung shook his head. 'no it will be mainly my work and that of some students and other teachers from my university'

     'Ah I can't wait for it Taehyung! that's amazing.'

     'Yes but I will probably need to work a lot on that after working hours.'

     'Ah yes I understand, well then we just try to have quality time in the weekends?' I asked hopeful and he came closer hugging me. Then he kissed my forehead 'deal'.

Taehyung arrived home late more frequently, as he had explained. He met up with people to organize the exhibition. It was a lot of work according to him and I tried to be supportive.

There was however a feeling of this distance growing between the two of us. When he arrived home he often already had dinner and sometimes he arrived so late that I was already asleep. And even on the weekends he would work, grading papers and working on his art for the exhibition. Because it wasn't only about organizing the exhibition but also about displaying his art and he wanted to have his best again.

Perhaps I also was too focused on it because my job was not as busy at the moment, because we just had that deadline, besides Luna was moving in with Jimin so they were in that honeymoon sort of period and therefore not that much available to hang out.

Weeks passed again like this and our relationship seemed to become more and more distant. Even our physical intimacy reduced to almost nothing. I tried to shrug it off and mainly try to blame the exhibition. It came to a point I was actually counting down the days until it was finally happening. 

I mean if that was over Taehyung would surely make more time for our relationship again wouldn't he?