2

Penny awoke to the searing heat of sunlight and blinked her eyes. Realizing the events of last night, she glanced at her bed, and saw that it was empty. Without a word of thanks or even a goodbye, the guy had just left. She grunted and settled back into her earlier sleeping position with a sour taste in her mouth.

When Chloe had finally gotten back to the dorm, the two of them headed to the dining halls while Chloe relayed the events of the last night.

"It was amazing. Zoe introduced me to a bunch of people and," she paused a devilish look in her eye, "a ton of guys."

Penny nodded, shoveling down another clump of meat — she hadn't realized how hungry she was.

Chloe paused cautiously before saying, "how was your night?"

In between bites, Penny considered whether or not to mention him and decided against it. No need to stir up unnecessary drama. Just as she was about to make up some imaginary cozy night in, Chloe began to wave. Squinting at the emerging clan of people, Penny could make out the distinctive animated walk and silver hair of Zoe and her friends.

She really wasn't in the mood for this.

"I have to go," she said, picking up her tray.

"What? To where?"

"I just — I just have somewhere to be," was all Penny could come up with as she raced to the trash bins, dumped her food away, and ran out of the canteen. She could feel a dozen pair of eyes burned on to her back, but that type of judgment was still better than reliving last night's awkward conversations and dodgy eye contact.

It was 1:30 PM and to Penny's exasperation, it was too early even for her to be holed up in her dorm again. Scanning her surroundings, she suddenly remembered a coffee cafe she had seen when studying the campus map. A perfect hiding spot for times like these. What was it called again? What was the name...?

Mason's Café.

❋  ❋  ❋

From the moment she stepped in, Penny decided she liked it. The walls were patches of deep maroon and brown, and there were little lamps situated on the tables — it certainly wasn't grand, but it was cozy. Sitting down beside a window, she picked up the menu and promptly decided on a latte. She settled back into her seat after ordering, and picked up her pencil and sketchpad, glancing around the room to decide who to draw. There was a moderate amount of people, a scatter of couples and young adults, and so she couldn't decide. Just as she was about to give up and scroll through her phone instead, she felt someone staring at her. Or glaring at her?

Looking up, she pivoted and to her surprise, saw the guy from the party sending her a searing look from behind the counter. Why was he so upset, she thought to herself, it was she who had been abandoned without a thank you. Peaking up at him again, she got a better look. In the daylight, his hair was just as black, but his eyes were warmer and his features were softer. Penny decided that he looked good, not that it mattered. Squinting, she saw his name tag: James Moore.

For the next ten minutes, Penny created a grand total of zero new sketches, and spent most of her time trying not to look at him. When her coffee finally came, she was mindlessly scratching the paper with the tip of her nail, trying to distract herself from the awkwardness, when she heard a cough from the waiter. Penny looked up, and to her great horror, saw James standing in front of her, latte in hand.

A beat passed, and she managed to mumble, "thanks." He didn't respond and began to walk away, and she was going to let him go, when something twisted, and unlike usual, she didn't keep quiet and act nice. "Is there something you should say? Maybe a thank you?" she sputtered. He halted and slowly turned around to face her. Penny saw his face more up-close and decided that he would be the perfect person to draw if he didn't act this way. His face was so suitable for charcoal.

"All I want to say, is that if you tell anyone," he paused stepping closer to her, "anyone at school about my job, you'll wish you shut that trap of yours."

His gaze burned holes onto her face, but Penny couldn't understand why he was scared she would say anything, not that she would, "I won't. But, I mean, this isn't a huge deal. Why would you care —"

"I don't need to explain myself to you. Honestly, I don't know you," he said, and started walking away.

"Yeah but like, it's just a part-time job, what's the deal?" she knew she shouldn't have pressed on like that, but she was already a bit annoyed that he had cut off all relations with her. Penny didn't expect deep gratitude, but was common courtesy too much to ask for?

"Not your business," he spat out. Stalking away, he looked over his shoulder coldly,"Oh — and I don't want to see any sketches of me."

Penny began to flush red and was infinitely glad he wasn't close enough to see it, "Don't flatter yourself", she managed to retort. Taking a much-needed sip from her latte, she debated whether or not to leave before the tension could escalate. Returning back to campus would probably mean a high chance of bumping into the Zoe squad, and staying here would just mean continued awkward exchanges (but at least she wasn't forced to act social). Penny finally decided to wait until James left the counter to escape, so that she wouldn't have to pass him. For the next twenty minutes she sat there, praying that he would leave to take a break or just clean up some mess upstairs, and when he finally did, she was stopped by a middle-aged employee. The woman had a slicked-back rope of blonde hair, and black framed glasses. Penny glanced at her awkwardly, not sure what she wanted. All she could focus on was the fact that the woman was blocking the door — her escape route.

"Hey there. I'm Debra," the woman stuck out her hand. Penny awkwardly shook it and glanced over her shoulder, on the lookout for James.

"I'm Penny."

"James's friend I presume?" she said with a friendly smile. Before Penny could passionately deny this, the woman continued on, "don't take his anger personally. James isn't the biggest charmer you know." This surprised Penny, especially after seeing him at the party. Everyone seemed to be vying for his and attention and approval, maybe it was just his air of self-assurance? He certainly wasn't polite, but then again, charismatic people usually were more eccentric.

Debra shook her head with a distant look on her face, "that poor boy's under a ton of pressure these days, but he's a good kid."

"Pressure?" Penny raised her eyebrows.

"He didn't tell you?"

Debra settled down onto the chair next to her. And for the next twenty minutes, told Penny his story.