Epilogue

"And we are finished!" Penny declared triumphantly. She set down her brush and looked at her work with a satisfied smile. James peered at his mother's finished face and nodded with a grin.

"Oh — I love it so much, Penny!" his mother said. She was busy staring at herself in the vanity mirror, checking all her angles. It had been two months since she successfully recovered from her surgery, and this was her first day officially out of the hospital. The doctor had told James, with great joy, that she was going to be okay from then on. The chances of her illness reappearing were slim to none.

"Mom, where did you say you wanted me to take the photos?" he asked, camera in hand.

"Of course in the garden!" she exclaimed.

The trio made their way down to the flowers and trees. Spring had come and the blossoming pink and yellow buds spotted the field. Standing there with the backdrop of running water, it seemed all was well. It had been a long long time since James or his mother had felt this way.

"One two three cheese," James said as his mother posed next to the tree. After a few more snaps, Penny shook her head and lead his mother towards the field of flowers.

"Try posing here, the colors will look much better on camera," Penny said, her artistic instincts kicking in. James's mother nodded with a cheeky smile and settled around the flowers, adjusting her posture. After a few moments they marveled at the beautiful pictures that resulted from their hard work. His mother began walking further out onto the field, camera in hand, taking snapshots at the leafy plants and slow churn of water.

"Thank you," James said to her suddenly.

She blinked, "Uh — no problem! I'm used to doing people's makeup and all that."

"I meant, thank you for loving me for who I am," he said.

She laughed and settled into his embrace, "We've been dating for months now, and you're still saying cheesy stuff like that," she paused hooking her arms around his neck and peered up at him, "plus, there's so much to love about you."

He dipped down and pecked her on the lips. Standing there surrounded by the blossoming flowers and the gentle sunlight, the whole world fell away.

All that remained was them.