16

The next few days felt like torture. Penny spent most of her time trying to avoid James and Kate, hoping that with time the pain would subside. It didn't.

"Here's an idea. Why don't you come with me to hang with friends later. We're grabbing dinner and maybe karaoke after," Sandra suggested. They were lounging on the sofas near the ongoing photoshoot and vanity tables.

Penny shook her head, "I really don't feel like going."

"Trust me. Your fight with him isn't that uncommon. Just come with me to take your mind off of things," she said. Penny twiddled her fingers and sighed. She knew that Sandra had abundant experience when it came to dating, maybe she was right? Maybe it was better to forget about her worries than staying in, wallowing in her sorrow.

"Ok, I'll go," she said finally.

❋  ❋  ❋

When they arrived, Penny saw two guys sitting side by side at the table. The one on the right with tattoos tracing his arm was clearly into Sandra, and the other guy with black hair seemed focused on Penny (to her surprise). As they sat down, she instantly regretted her choice. It didn't seem right to be eating with these two guys when she was still dating James. If she had known they were the friends Sandra was talking about, she definitely wouldn't have agreed. Then again, that was probably why she hadn't informed her about them. Sandra introduced them to each other, and after ordering their food, the trio settled into comfortable conversation.

"So I hear you're the makeup artist for the magazine?" the guy with the black hair asked her.

She looked up, "Um, yeah. That's me."

"Makes sense. Most makeup artists look pretty cute themselves."

Truth be told, Penny was a bit caught off guard by this statement. She wasn't stupid, she knew he was trying to flirt with her. Normally, before James, she would have felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude and become shy. Yet looking at him, Penny didn't feel much. In fact, it just made her think of James even more.

"I'm going to refill my cup," she said, standing up.

"I'll go with you," he said before she could protest. They made their way to the soft drink dispenser and stood side by side. He watched as she finished filling up her own beverage before he leaned in. Pressing his own cup against the coke dispenser, they were too close for her comfort. As Penny began turning to step to the side, she suddenly saw James near the entrance of the diner. He was with one of his soccer buddies, still seemingly wearing his part-time job uniform. James's friend was rambling on about something by his side, looking around for a seat, but his eyes were fixed on Penny and the guy next to her. Their eyes met, and she felt her breath lodge in her throat. It's not what it looks like she wanted to explain, but he was too far from her, and there was nothing left to say. The look in his eyes verged on the brink between disappointment and despair.

"James —" she started, taking a step forward. But from the distance, she saw him turn on his heel and beckon towards his friend. Was there really nothing left to say? His retreating silhouette seemed indifferent and cold.

"Who's that?" the guy next to her asked. She had forgotten about him, her hands still gripped her cold beverage. Penny wasn't sure how to answer him. They hadn't broken up, but the look in his eyes and the hardness of his walk seemed to say otherwise.