3

Penny slipped into a random seat on the first day of her sociology class. As she took out her pens and paper, she watched a new flood of students rush in. Busy looking busy on her phone, she didn't bother looking up to see who her new classmates were going to be. She didn't look up either when some girl slipped into the seat next to her. After a few moments, the professor entered the class and began organizing his papers.

Suddenly, the girl turned to her and said, "Hey um — would it be ok if I switched seats with you?" her eyes were pleading and, a bit desperate? Penny blinked twice.

"Sure, is everything ok?" she asked gently.

The girl bit her lip, "Yeah, it's just things are a bit awkward with," she paused, "with the person next to me."

Penny nodded, "Ok, no problem. Let's switch."

It was only after Penny had just settled into her new seat that she recognized who was next to her ...James Moore. He was wearing a faded t-shirt and his black hair was rumpled. He didn't seem to care about her, and ignored her completley.

Penny's thoughts flashed back to what Debra had told her. It was hard to believe that he, this person that yes — looked tired most of the time, but was so chill and confident, was someone breaking his back, working to fund his mother's medical bills. It was more shocking that he was a product of a single-parent household. His story just didn't seem to match up with him. How could someone with an ill mother have such calm and self-assuredness? Penny imagined what that would be like if it had happened to her. She never had the closest relationship with her mother (probably because her mother was so absorbed with her older sister), but she also never had felt responsible for her mother, nor truly burdened by her. Penny couldn't imagine a life where she would have to give up things that she loved, such as creating art, to work a slew of part time jobs. It would be harsh on any adult, much less a college kid.

Sneaking a glance at him, Penny had to admit that she somewhat admired his character (despite his previous rudeness).

The professor had finished his introduction and syllabus talk, and now turned to his students with an excited smile on his face. "Alright, now the fun part! For the next twenty minutes, turn to the person next to you and introduce yourself."

Penny's heart dropped to her stomach at the thought of conversing with James. He didn't seem too hot about that idea either, and was just drawing doodles on his notebook aimlessly. Finally after a few minutes of awkward silence as everyone else began rambling, he turned to her.

"I'm James, which you already know."

Her face burned a bit at the accuracy of the statement, "I'm Penny."

"Like the coin?" a bitter smile tugged on his lips.

"How original," she bit back sarcastically. More silence ensued, and she found herself wondering what his attachment was with the girl beside her. She also felt the need to fill up the awkward silence (after all, there were still fifteen minutes left of this activity). "So do you two," she gestured subtly at the girl, "know each other?"