Beer Bottles and Drive Ins

Y/N looks around and took in the attitudes and personalities of the boys. Psychoanalyzing them herself. Johnny and Ponyboy were close friends. They were both quiet and inseparable, and seemed to speak their own language, know what the other one was thinking before the other  could say anything. Steve, Two-Bit and Sodapop were also pretty close, especially Soda and Steve. Soda was very handsome, but a celebrity handsome, an unrealistic, unachievable set of looks to rival Brandos. Darry looked scary, but he was warm, and had a soft spot for his brothers, especially Soda. Dally confused her the most. He was unreadable. He felt either everything at once or nothing at all. He could switch his anger on and off in the blink of an eye. He was scary, but strangely, he intrigued Y/N.

      "So, Y/N," Dally began, catching her off guard, "You know I'm New York too."

      "Oh yeah, what part?" She asked, turning to him.

      "All around, never stayed in one place too much."

      "Hey, Y/N, you want a drink?" Steve interrupted. Y/N noticed Dally shoot him a glare.

       "Yeah, that would be great, thanks,"She answered, and Steve reached behind him and handed her a bottle. 

       "Smoke?" Dally asked, holding a yellowed carton towards her. His knee touched her leg, as he leaned in towards her.

       "I don't smoke, thanks though," she said, smiling slightly. He caught Two-Bits annoyed look, and shrugged, before winking at Y/N, who fidgeted with the bottle cap nervously. 

       "Y/N, what made someone like you leave the big apple, and come down to a place like this," Soda inquired, looking curiously towards her. 

       "My dad screwed up, had an affair," Y/N began, her memories from last night angering her all over again, "Kicked us out of the house, haven't talked to him since," she took a drink from the bottle, the alcohol burning her throat, making her cough.

        "Shoot Y/N I didn't know that," Two said quietly.

        "It's not a big deal, we're over it," Y/N replied, answering quietly, smiling slightly.

         "Well good riddance," Dallas, said before clapping, "alright y'all, I'm gonna head down to the drive in tonight, who's interested? Y/N, you're coming right?"

          She looked at Two-Bit who widened his eyes and shook his head. "Yeah I'll be there."

         "Cool, anyone else? Six o clock?" He repeated, leaning forward.

         "Johnny and I'll go," Ponyboy answered.

         "Can't, I've got work tonight," Darry answered, prompting groans from the gang.

         "Alright, well Steve and I can go, right?" Soda said, turning to Steve, who nodded enthusiastically.

           "Can't man, got a date with Sylvie."

           "Well I'll still be there," Sodapop concluded, floding his arms and shooting Y/N a smirk.

         "Then ya'll already know I'm there," Two-Bit said with a sigh, "I'm not leaving you guys alone with my kid cousin."        

         "Shut up," Y/N protested, smacking Two in the arm. She looked up, and saw Ponyboy smiling up at her, a shade of pink coating his cheeks.

          The walk home with Two was tense. Finally, he spoke up, "Looks like they liked you a lot. Especially Dallas."

          Y/N kicked the pavement, "Yeah they're good guys, Dallas is a lot nicer than he looks. Ponyboy is a cool guy too." Two-Bit scoffed.

            She had no idea what to wear. She was anxious, but excited. After 15 minuets of trying on outfits, she landed on a pleated, denim skirt, white, low top sneakers, a darker, long sleeved, v-neck sweater, and her hair down. She looked nice. Not too preppy, but also, not like, "a trucker." She fixed her lipstick, and headed down to the drive in with Two-Bit. 

                                                                                   *At the Curtis House*

       Ponyboy had been in the bathroom for half an hour fixing his hair, and straightening his shirt, much to the annoyance of Soda. 

        "C'mon kid, you're not the only one in the house, we have to go," Soda shouted from the other room.

        "Alright I'm going, Im going," Ponyboy was nervous, and he wasn't usually nervous when he went out with the gang.  He could't stop thinking about her. He knew he didn't have a prayer. She was older, smarter, cooler than he was. She was also beautiful. His cheeks burned thinking about her, and he splashed some cold water on his face.

       "Man, Y/Ns cute isn't she?" Soda said coming into the bathroom and checking his hair, "Think I should talk to her? I thought I saw her looking at me today. She was looking at me right?"

        Ponyboys stomach sunk. Of course. He didn't stand a chance if Soda was interested. His brother, the handsome, golden boy, who was charming and beautiful. He was also the same age as her. Maybe she was looking at Soda, who wouldn't be? "Yeah I'm sure she was," Ponyboy said,  smiling at his brother, who snaked his arm around they younger boys neck. 

       Against the golden sunset that welcomed dusk, they made their way to the drive in, both  only having one thing on their mind.