Smokeshow

The house was empty as Ponyboy and Y/N sat at the kitchen table, reviewing his math homework. He was getting more and more frustrated, no matter what he did, he could not get these equations to stay in his head. "Face it Y/N, it's hopeless, I'll just take this in summer school."

"Stop it. You still have the next few months to get your grades up. Besides, it's my job to make sure you pass."

Ponyboy tried to focus on the textbook, but his mind was distracted. He had talked to Cherry the other night. They discussed Bob and their breakup, Darry's reaction to the news. She was a nice girl, really easy to talk to. He had decided to try to stay away from Y/N, with her and Soda being official. He wasn't that kind of guy. He wasn't Dally, to go around taking his friends, or in this case, brothers, girlfriend. Pony still liked Y/N, but he decided to try and keep his mind on something else. "I guess. Hey, what about number-" The phone rang loudly from the front room. "I'll be right back. Darrys probably checking in." Ponyboy walked to the phone and picked up the receiver, putting it to his ear,"Hello?"

A voice that definitely wasn't his brother answered. "Pony? Hi, it's Cherry."

"Oh, hi Cherry. What's the matter?"

"Nothings wrong. I was just wondering if you wanted to do something this Friday? Maybe go to the movies? If Darry'll let you of course."

His eyes moved to the kitchen door and they fell on Y/N, flipping through her notbook. He hesitated for a moment before answering. "Sure, I'll talk to him about it. That'd be cool."

"Fine. Call me tommorow to let me know. Bye Ponyboy."

"See you Cherry." Pony felt dumbfounded. He had to get Darry to agree first of course, but a Soc girl. What was the catch? The boy walked back into the kitchen and sat at the table, a little red.

"Who was that?" Y/N asked curiously.

Ponyboy paused for a second, contemplating his answer. "Cherry. Cherry Valance, from the movies. You met her. She asked me to go out with her Friday."

Y/N choked on her saliva. Cherry? "That's great Pony! I thought she was with that guy, Bob?"

       Ponyboy shrugged. "They broke up a week after."

      "Isn't she a little older though?"

"Not by much," he replied defensively. "She just turned 17, I'll be 15 in a couple of months."

      "If you say so. You think Darry'll let you go?"

      "I'll get Soda to talk to him."

      "Won't people...y'know, give you shit for being a Greaser? You know I'm the last person to care about that, but people freaked when me and Chris walked down the hall."

      "I'll figure it out." Pony was irritated. She was right, and he knew that. "What's your problem? Why're you on my case?"

      Y/N was taken aback, not expecting the hostility. "I'm sorry." He looked down at the floor, his face flushed, slightly ashamed at the outburst. "C'mon, you have work to do."

-

      "Is that what you're wearing?" Two-Bit asked Y/N, walking into the bathroom.

      "Well aren't you a snob?"

      "I'm not a snob, just wondering. You look cool enough." She did look good. Her dress was short, and she wore, high shiny heeled boots. A perfect look for the night. "Did you hear Ponyboy's going with that redhead to the movies tonight?"