Friday

The cool wind of fall whipped against Y/Ns face as she sat on the porch, waiting for the family to leave the house so she could get the place to herself. She looked behind her shoulder, through the window, making eye contact with her mother before quickly looking away. She hadn't spoken to Two-Bit or Marie for two days, since their Wednesday arguments. She also hadn't gone to the Curtis house yesterday, nervous about seeing Soda. She knew she couldn't run away from her problems forever, but she wasn't above blocking them out for as long as she could. Someone sat next to her on the porch swing, and she turned, meeting Two-Bits grey eyes, which looked far more concerned than she was used to seeing them. She looked straight ahead, not acknowledging her cousins presence, causing him to exhale out of his nose in frusturation.

      "Are you still upset?" She ignored him. "Look Y/N, I didn't mean what I said. It came out wrong. I know you're a good kid, and I know you're smart enough to make your own descisons, I'm just worried about you. You've got so much goin' on right now, I just don't want anything to happen to you."

      "I believe you," she responded, silently forgiving him. They sat, basking in the autumn air for a moment, before Two-Bit spoke again.

      "You know, the gang missed you yesterday."

      She laughed curtly. "Sure."

      "I'm serious! Pony, Johnny, Steve and Darry asked where you were, I told em you weren't feeling well."

      She turned to face him. "What about Dallas and Soda?"

      "They were quiet mostly. Dally didn't mention anything, and Soda seemed busy. You know, you have to see them eventually."

      I know,  I know."

      "I'm picking you up after school today. No excuses, we're going to their house." Y/N opened her mouth in protest but before she could start, Two interrupted. "No objections kid, it's depressing to see you moping around the house."

     "Fine."

      "Good," he reached down and ruffled her hair, "shoot, I can't believe I have to be the respnsible cousin."

      "You wish."

       "I'm serious," he chuckled getting into his car, "you go out with one guy and you start losing your head!"

       She laughed, before asking loudly, "hey Keith, how's your english grade looking?" May whipped her head around in the kitchen, but before she could say anything, Two stuck his tongue out jeering, before speeding off down the street.

      She leaned her head back, thankful to be back on speaking terms with her scatterbrained cousin. She knew he meant well, and to be honest, most of the time he was right. She just wished he would trust her more.

      "Bye Y/N, your mothers got a big job interview today!" May gushed, grabbing her sister by the hand and waving to Y/N. Her mother didn't look at her. Instead, she jumped into the car, and silently vroomed away before Y/N even said anything.
      She sighed, getting up, and walking to the bathroom. She turned the nozzle of the shower and got in, letting the hot water run over her, working the soapy suds into her hair. Her mind wandered to her father. Was he doing well? Did he miss her? He clearly didn't care about her, he didn't call once since he moved out. What could that woman mean to him, how special could she have been, that he had left his entire family for her? Y/N though she must be the most beautiful woman in the wolrd. She would be smart, kind, stunning. Maybe then she would respect her father more for leaving them. Yeah. She would respect her father a lot more if he had left them for miss America. But he didn't leave them for miss America. His secretary was perfectly ordinary. A stupid girl, not much older than Y/N. A family friend. Now, she had replaced them all in one fell swoop.