Don't Play Dumb

The walk to the Curtis house, was filled with laughter and and loud talk, but Y/N was quiet, walking by Johnny, nodding along and laughing at all the right moments. She had a lot to think about. Overall, she felt that her first day went by alright. She definitely seemed to have made an impression. All day, she felt eyes on her. Whispers. Who's she? New York. She's a Greaser? No. What was she doing with him?

She straightened up. Who cares? Why shouldn't she talk to a Soc. Just because she hung out with Greasers, or she lived in a certain neighbourhood. She didn't owe anything to anyone. Besides, she was just talking to Christopher as a classmate. He was convenient, an easy guide to the cafeteria. She did find it hard to get him out of her head though. He didn't seem like the kind of Soc that Two-Bit described. The ones that fought and jumped. He seemed sweet.

"Hey Y/N," Johnny whispered beside her, "you're quiet."

"Just tired," she spoke back to him. Y/N liked Johnny. Between the Soc encounter at the movie house, and them finding their way to each other at school, an unspoken friendship had been born. Y/N felt instinctively protective over him, and Johnny appreciated the feeling of comfort that didn't come with the smell of booze or an urge to fight. "Johnny?" He looked up at her. "You think Dally will be here today?"

"If all goes to plan," Johnny smiled, "why?"

"Nothing just wondering."

"Don't worry about Dally," Johnny reassured, "he's a cool guy. He was just showin' off the other night."

"I'm not scared," she scoffed, "I was just curious."

Johnny looked at the ground and smiled. As they passed Two-Bit's house, Y/N spoke up, "Hey, give me a minute, I just have to grab something."

"Are we on your time kid?" Two asked, although he slowed to a stop.

"It'll be a second," she yelled, before opening the door. The house was empty with May at work and Tara on her way home from school. She had no idea where her mother was. She didn't care. Y/N caught her reflection in the mirror. Her hair was tousled, and she felt flushed. What about her outfit? Was it diner ready? She had a coat, she would be fine. Why did she come in here again? Shit. Y/N quickly remembered Soda's jacket upstairs. As she picked it up, she thought back to last night, and the fond memories came back to her. The smell of the popcorn they got together. His warmth next to her as they watched the movie. His smile before turning and running towards his house. She caught herself grinning and fixed her hair again. She really liked Soda, but did he feel the same way? Locking the front door behind her, she ran up to the gang, butterflies in her stomach, as they made their way to the Curtis house. The closer they got, the clearer became the rowdiness of the boys inside. Y/N could recognize Darry yelling at one of the boys and loud laughter. Two-Bit flung the door open and ran into the busy room, wringing his arms around Darry's shoulders, as the rest of them laughed.

"Back up kid," Darry said waving a pan at him wildly. "Hey Y/N!" He called out among the ruckus of the small two bedroom.

"Hi," Y/N called back laughing.

"Hey Y/N," Steve called to her. "So what's the news between you and Soda," he questioned, ducking Sodas fist. "Cause he would not shut up about you at the DX-"

"Shut up," Soda hissed pushing Steve off the couch. His cheeks were crimson, but his mouth broke out into a smile when his eyes met Y/Ns. "Hey," he grinned at her, kicking his friend for good measure. "Come here."

She walked over and sat by the boy. "Here," she said, passing him the jacket. He grabbed it from her and leaned back, admiring the girl. She looked nice today. Happy. Her eyes looked bright.