𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎

The law

The law... an antiquated set of rules that help to serve a world that had yet to catch up with a rapidly changing society. Virginia supposed her opinion was one of the very few things that made her different and one of the only things she had in common with hoods like Dallas Winston and Tim Shepard.

The sound of a blaring car horn jolted Virginia and she shot Steve Randle a menacing scowl. Laughing and jumping around in the backseat of the blue Thunderbird were Ponyboy and Two-Bit, only leering slightly at some of the greaser girls who clustered around like a coop of hens.

From the passenger seat, Virginia scowled and lashed her hand behind her to slap her brother's knee in reprimand after a small whistle left his lips. The girls were not as kind as far as nice greaser girls went but she hated catcalling for Socs and greasers alike.

"Stop honking the horn," she grumbled at Steve and held her hands over her ears.

"Tryin' to get a girl over here. Keep your mouth shut," Steve retorted as his eyes scanned over the hoods of other cars to spot a waitress.

"What's got her so hacked off?" Two-Bit chortled, nudging Sodapop with his elbow.

Virginia spun in her seat and glared at the wise-cracking greaser and her older brother whose cheerful grin suddenly fell. "I am not hacked off!"

"Blue, cool off. We'll be fine." Ponyboy's futile brush off was weak.

She scoffed, her mind still captured by Richards' rude comments and completely ignoring her little brother's reassurance. "I mean, separate me? I'm leavin'! I'm gone in a few months!"

"Oh come on, Blue," Steve laughed, "Get your head outta the clouds. You ain't never been eight blocks outside your own house."

Just when she was about to retort, a loud slap on the back of the car startled the lot of them. Two-Bit and Ponyboy grinned when they spotted who the miscreant was.

"Hey, Dallas!"

Oh no.

"Hey, look here. Nice car, man," Dallas mused and shook a proud Steve's hand. "Where you takin' her?"

They carried on a conversation with words ranging from 'pick up hot broads' to 'stealing more hubcaps' much to Virginia's lack of interest. She had propped up her elbow on the window edge, feeling a cool breeze run through her hair what with the top down on the car. Her belief of refusing to make eye contact with Dallas seemed to comfort her even though being around him at all was dangerous for her and Ponyboy.

"Hey there, Little Blue."

"Huh— h-hi," she mumbled to Dallas, shutting her eyes in embarrassment at her little stumble.

Dallas smiled coyly, relentlessly making his way over to the passenger side. He ruffled her hair, much to her protest but still managed to get a grin out of her weakly stoic face. To Virginia, it felt like the dynamic between Dallas and her grew stronger from that lie-steeped revelation that night. For a second, she forgot all of their past fights and his treachery.