𝚏𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Sweet lord, I need one more hot fudge sundae

Sweet lord, I need one more hot fudge sundae. Why is he smiling like that? Does he hate my eyebrows?

Virginia's thoughts knew no limits. She definitely was surprised she wasn't sweating like a pig in the seat. Sam's ice cream spot, which she dreamt would be overrun with soda fountains and a jukebox with bright overhead lights and polished wooden tables... was none other than the little old Tastee-Freez just outside of the high school.

Her fingers drew circles on the small table Sam got for her and she tried to avoid his eyes and focus in on the tiny bubbles that surfaced on the top of her sundae. She tried not to devour hers in the three seconds after it was placed in front of them.

But even with the mouthwatering confection begging to be scarfed down, Virginia couldn't resist gazing into the enigmatic blue eyes that belonged to the boy in front of her.

When Sam asked if they could talk to her, he really meant talk. Not only was he fascinated in everything about her, he barely mentioned a fact about himself.

"So I was able to get a pretty good score on the entrance exams but I sure am traumatized by all the studying..."

"Ha, my oldest brother had to look over my shoulder and slap me awake if I tried noddin' off," Virginia argued as she recalled Darry's terrifying presence looming over her shoulder as she studied for her own entrance exams.

'"Alright, I got another question," Sam began, lowering his spoon into his sundae.

"Sorry, can't take you seriously when you like strawberry syrup on a sundae," she sighed, smiling up at him and swallowing a spoonful of her own ice cream.

"C'mon," Sam laughed and nudged her shoulder playfully. "Alright... favorite class?"

"Art," she said instantly, stirring the hot fudge drizzle into the vanilla ice cream. "Easy. What were you doin' in the art room in the first place? On Friday? Didn't figure you were the... art-lovin' type."

"I'm not," he chuckled, drumming his fingers on the table. "My mom and I go out for burgers and shakes every Friday after school but she had to run out so I was waiting and-"

Virginia nearly choked on her ice cream and she covered her mouth with a tissue in case she spat anything out, which, with her shock, was very likely. Sam looked at her with wide eyes, frozen and concerned.

"Y-your mom?" she asked, inhaling deeply.

"Y-yes? She's the art teacher at school," Sam answered slowly. He raised one thick eyebrow.

"Oh..." she muttered, feeling a knot of worry tighten in her stomach. Her lips quivered as she tried to get a coherent sentence out. "But Tanner- Gardner, alright..."

"Sorry, I thought you knew. It sure looks like everyone does," Sam said, chuckling at her state. He dug his spoon in his sundae dish. "Yeah, you sure are her favorite student. She talks 'bout you sometimes."