𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Virginia didn't care for the Beatles

Virginia didn't care for the Beatles. Neither did other greasers and anyway, it was more of a Soc thing. But that didn't stop her from grooving to the beat of "I Saw Her Standing There" blaring from the radio in her art class.

"I saw that."

Virginia turned her head away from her sketchbook to see the smug face of the one and only, Margaret Tanner (or former Gardner after her shocking discovery last night). She wiggled her eyebrows and winked at Virginia who chuckled.

"I still don't like 'em," the girl defended quickly as she rotated a pencil in between her fingers.

Ms. Tanner hummed and shrugged. She clapped her hands rhythmically as she weaved around the uniquely located desks of her students. She made her way to her desk and leaned against it, clasping her hands together in front of her.

She gasped when she plucked a swerving paper airplane that almost zipped past her. She nodded and hummed. "Nice construction."

The boy who threw it suddenly didn't look nervous.

"Good morning, young and bright minds," Ms. Tanner began, setting the airplane on her desk. "Today, we're going to start talking about human anatomy." She paused. "No, I'm pulling your legs, we're not going to do that. I'm not qualified. Anyway, I'm quite sure you bunch know enough about anatomy."

Her added wink drew a few laughs from the crowd. Virginia propped up her chin on her fist and smiled, shaking her head at her teacher's innuendo.

"But, I would like to begin class with an analysis of a particularly invigorating piece." Ms. Tanner pushed up a photo on the stage of the small overhead projector next to her desk. The rather... revealing artwork had some kids snickering and others blushing and looking away.

"Susanna and the Elders by our dear, Artemisia Gentileschi."

And despite the embarrassment felt by her peers, Virginia found herself intrigued even more with the picture of the painting. To others, she may have seemed lecherous and she took note of it as soon as the thought crossed her mind. Discreetly, she let her eyes fall to her sketchbook but she dared to peek through her lashes.

Ms. Tanner chuckled and leaned against her desk once more. "What? Too risqué? That's what I'm sure that's what Susanna believed when she saw two old men spying on her in the bath."

Virginia's lips trembled in their pressed frown at the sheer horror of the possibility. Then she remembered how she lived with three boys and had friends who didn't care for privacy. And at that moment, Virginia made a mental note to remember to lock the bathroom door.

"Now, Ms. Gentileschi was an Italian Baroque painter excelling in the dramatic style of Caravaggio."

Ms. Tanner, in character, held out her hands like she was suddenly transported onto Broadway. Receiving no reaction from her students, she smiled and lowered her arms.