𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

As the months progressed, and the beautiful red-and-gold leaves cascaded down, leaving their mother branches bare and shivering from winter's rasp, blissful hope and cheer was in the air

As the months progressed, and the beautiful red-and-gold leaves cascaded down, leaving their mother branches bare and shivering from winter's rasp, blissful hope and cheer was in the air. The promise of spring was not too far away but there was a charm in the colder months, especially around Christmas time.

The first snowfall of the year was always the most exciting. Young children from all walks of life would beg their parents to go out and play, building snowmen and having vicious snowball fights with their neighbors and friends. Many would go to church bright and early, wearing their best garb. Even on the North side, where the glummest and coarse greasers roamed, there was always the exhilarating beauty of the holidays. At least, that's what Virginia Curtis liked to believe.

Over time, Darry had begun to loathe Christmas to his siblings' astonishment and amusement. The intoxication of December was like a fever, quickly spreading to each one of the boys who spent time at the Curtis abode. Steve and Sodapop by far, were the most rambunctious during this time of the year, even having the gall to go as far as to strike Tim Shepard with an arbitrary snowball.

His sister Virginia seemed to be extra indulgent in spirits that lovely Saturday morning. After a particularly boring sermon at church, she took a leisurely walk with Ponyboy who huddled close to preserve heat and make sure he didn't fall and make a fool of himself. Both were particularly excited to see each sculpted flake with eyes at rest, the chaotic dance of billions uniting over the earth. The air was frozen lace on Virginia's skin, delicate and cold, like winter waves on mellow grass. The sky was washed with a pale shade of dove grey, watery light illuminating thin patches to brilliance. In some moments she was watching her boots over the frozen sidewalk, perfect concrete slabs, flat and square, and in others transfixed to the interplay of cloud and sun above. For some reason, her mind conjured a stone mosaic made beautiful by the shards of a mirror and she wanted to keep her eyes heaven-bound while her imagination makes them one thing. Only the slipping of her feet on an icy patch brought her attention earthward once more, the need to stay upright pulling her mind into the present.

"Isn't it the most wondrous thing?" Virginia sighed, giggling as Ponyboy helped steady her balance. She kept exhaling heavily, watching her breath materialize in pale white clouds that dissipated like smoke from neighboring houses' chimneys. Nearly every ragged fireplace was lit, even the one in her house. It would come in handy when she and her brother rushed in, frozen toes and fingers in desperate need of heat.

Her eyes drifted to the sky once again. Even on the coldest days of winter, the sun was shining bright in the sky, bringing joy to her heart. The snow had a purity that stirred her spirit, the world made as pristine as a fresh book ready for new drawings. Already her creativity was surging, dancing around the white-dusted evergreens with the delight of a child. It may have been winter, but there was still a unique beauty to it, a clarity, the kind of thinking that let her notice small details like how the trees though bare have the promise of spring within them. Even the coldness upon her face, turning her cheeks and nose bright, burning pink, was refreshing, her small body cozy inside a coat Darry made sure she throw on before bounding out of the house.