𝚝𝚎𝚗

With Two-Bit driving to the Nightly Double, Virginia, Ponyboy, and Johnny resorted to muttering a Hail Mary for the brakes to not give out in the middle of evening traffic

With Two-Bit driving to the Nightly Double, Virginia, Ponyboy, and Johnny resorted to muttering a Hail Mary for the brakes to not give out in the middle of evening traffic. And they haven't been to church in months.

Virginia shivered a little, pulling the collar of her jacket up to be a windbreak against the chills of the dark evening. The sky was a rich blend of indigo and blue and speckled with shimmering stars and though it was late May, it proved to be breezy but comfortable.

"I'm awful sorry about the cop," he said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly as he walked backward trying to keep up with Virginia who scowled.

The parking lot was starting to fill up with cars watching movies in the drive-in and Virginia kept a sharp eye out for her brother who was walking farther ahead with Johnny who kept his head held low and hands stuffed in his pockets.

"Fix your damn headlights then," she snapped, folding her arms tighter over her chest and looking away from him in frustration.

"C'mon, kid, don't be like that. I know you're scared of those cops but it was an accident," Two-Bit explained, cocking his head to a pair of girls exiting their car to go into the theater for seats. "How 'bout some popcorn? On me."

Virginia frowned and raised a brow. "You got money?"

He smiled and laughed like it was the funniest joke he's heard in his life.

"It ain't just about the cops, Two. The child and family services state people are on our tails, we can't get into any kind of trouble or..." she trailed off and put the dreaded possibility of separation out of her head. She bit her lip and continued, "And Johnny better watch it or he'll end up in the cooler."

"Leave it, alright? We're seein' one of those Hepburn movies. Ain't she your favorite?" he asked, slinging an arm around her. "What's got you in a mood?"

"Darry told me to stay away from Dally," she said in a hushed tone. She shrugged when Two-Bit gave her a weird look. "Not that I'm mad, I don't gotta see him today."

She smiled when her brother turned around and beckoned her. "Ticket booth!" she reminded, giving him a look.

They couldn't afford to do anything illegal, not even sneak into the drive-in through a break in the fence. She could see Ponyboy was a little disappointed at her command, making Virginia even angrier at Dallas Winston.

Two-Bit shrugged, holding onto the buckle of his belt. "Darry still mad?"

"Not like those first few weeks after the rumble," she answered, her hair blowing in her face. Two-Bit's rusty brown locks were slicked back on his hand with A sigh escaped her lips as she tucked it behind her ear and she muttered, "I just wish Ponyboy didn't change. His thinkin's all screwed up and all."

"Aw, baby, if I know you Curtis kids, Ponyboy'll be alright," he assured, giving her a noogie with his knuckles. Suddenly, he whistled at a girl bending over, making Virginia nearly jump.