𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Virginia Curtis never got to stay home by herself a lot

Virginia Curtis never got to stay home by herself a lot. There was that one time when the boys went off to a rumble, high on adrenaline and cracking laughter, but she had to share the house with Mrs. Mathews, Two-Bit's mother, who knew how to make a mean apple pie.

So whenever she got the rare chance, she'd cherish it until someone came barging in through their unlocked front door. Time alone served to be a good space for her to unleash the consequences of her temper that had only erupted with a single car ride with Dallas Winston.

"He's a disgrace to modern society..." Virginia grumbled as she angrily pulled a threaded embroidery needle through a pair of jeans. At that point, she could've worn a derby track around the rickety coffee table with all her pacing and stitching.

Virginia may not know how to cook something edible but she could do laundry and stitch in some effort to contribute to the Curtis siblings' livelihood Darry tried to invoke in all of them for every living day. So, like her Starry Night jacket, she took the liberty of personalizing her clothes in any way possible.

"Damn you, wicked needle!" she cried out in exhaustion as she ripped her finger away from the pockets of her jeans when she felt the painful prick of the sharp needle.

Unfortunately, she wasn't perfect.

Her eyes traveled to the little slivers of sunlight peeking through the blinds of the windows behind the couch and she felt her heart flutter at how they looked like newborn stars among the old lace.

"Sun, you are a splendid diamond," she remarked, lowering her once furious hands. She sighed sharply and flared her nostrils in remembrance. "Of course, someone as bullheaded as Dallas Winston wouldn't even think to be grateful for the sun, grateful for-for his friends, grateful for..."

She twirled the needle between her fingers and winced when she felt the sharp tip graze her skin. But it didn't compare to the shock she felt when her next words almost tumbled from her tongue:

Grateful for her complicated attempts at friendship.

"I'm not sayin' sorry, oh-ho-ho, no sir!" she spoke wryly as she harshly tugged the bright red thread through the jeans.

Her thoughts were suddenly broken when she heard the front door clatter open and instinctively outstretched her hand clutching the needle tightly and threateningly at whoever intruded in her house.

"Hey, who are- Virginia?" questioned Johnny Cade who trudged in with certain despair in his aching footstep. A frown was plastered on his tanned face when he saw the girl he believed was 'intruding' the Curtis house.

Virginia lowered her needle and hid it behind her back, biting back a small groan at her feeble try at defending herself.

"Thought you were s'pposed to be in school," Johnny mumbled as he collapsed on the couch she stood in front of.