𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

Virginia hoped she wasn't a sitting duck for trouble, whether it be a gang of greasers looking to pick on a couple of kids or the Socs she embarrassed

"Should've come earlier," Virginia mumbled to herself, counting the people in the line holding a few concessions they'd have to pay for. At the very front, she sighed when she saw a few children taking their sweet time to count their change for their bounty of popcorn and candy bars.

The lobby was warmer than the outside but that may have been the popcorn machine or the customers standing in the confines of the steel barricades that morphed the queue. A wide assortment of moviegoers stood around her, making her feel a little less nervous about being harassed. She was prepared to deal with it without the help of the boys but really preferred not to for her Saturday night.

Virginia carefully set two cups of popcorn filled the best on a cardboard tray and glanced at the food warmer packed with foil-wrapped snacks. As much as she wanted a pretzel, she'd have to have dinner at home anyway. Slowly, she moved down the row, her eyes raking over a stand of some candy bags and chews.

The woman manning the popcorn machine had to tuck all the frizzy strands of hair escaping her bun and Virginia noticed the slightest sheen of sweat on her forehead caused by the radiating heat of the hot oil. The gush of the soda fountain went rapid as the two cashiers hurried to fulfill drink orders in bright red cups. She even looked at the employee opening the warmer and snatching a few of the wrapped snacks.

"Hey, watch it, grease."

Virginia felt her blood run cold and a few others in front her turned around. She did so too, preparing herself for the worst but sighed when spotted a young greaser who couldn't have been more than ten years old shove his way past a couple of Socs proudly wearing their varsity jackets.

She reached the chilled bin of soft drinks and set down a few cups next to the popcorn, wondering if she should even purchase a soda for Ponyboy. It was her money, after all.

"Move down."

Virginia looked behind her and made eye contact with a man who cocked his head to the space between her and the counter. The curly-haired cashier stared at her expectantly.

"Uh, three Cokes, two popcorns." She bit her lower lip and drummed her fingers on the counter, letting the cashier ring it up for her. She dug through her pockets and handed him the money.

"Add a candy bag, would you?"

Virginia frowned and looked up at Sam who suddenly stood next to her with a charming, debonair smile plastered on his face. She peered behind him, wondering how he cut the line so quickly but her curiosity was squashed with frustration.

"For him, sure. Not me," she stated, looking Sam in the eyes with contempt. "I ain't paying for it."

Hearing a stifled laugh, Virginia fumed silently when she saw some of the friends he came with huddled in a group against the wall near them. It had to be a dare or some kind of cruel game as revenge.