Thirteen

~Previously on Revenge (Kurapika x Reader)~

---------------------------------------

"Alright, and why do you think they deserve being avenged?"

"W-what!? They we're kind innocent people, and on top of that my family! Why wouldn't they deserve it!" I fume, clenching my jaw.

"I can assure you they were most likely not all you think they were." He states,

"What do you mean, of course they were!" I yell,

"You're an idiot you know that? As you know I'm an assassin, when I kill it's usually requested by another individual. So someone requested I kill your family. Do you think they could have done nothing and still be wanted dead."

---------------------------------------

His words hit me like a bag or bricks. No they were good people, just trying to get by in life! I know they were! "Stop, I know they did nothing wrong."

"You really are stupid, what is your last name?"

"L/n, why?" You stare up at him your eyes finally cleared of your own blood.

"To jog my memory,"

He's starting to confuse me, why is he going to tell me about my family instead of kill me on the spot? Is he trying to gain something form this? Or perhaps get something from me?

"It appears I do recall your late family, they were no where near good people." He says, sitting down on a nearby rock.

What could they have possibly done? Whatever it is I don't want to hear it, I've spent the majority of my teenage years plotting Illumi's demise. But, my anticipation is growing, were they really as bad as he's making them out to be?  My head begin swirling with theories about the crimes they could have committed. However, nothing could prepare me for what I heard next.

"Your family were members of the Phantom Troupe."

Shock. Thats the only word that can describe what I feel at this moment. As in the Phantom Troupe, the one who massacred the Kurta clan, and killed so many others? I know my parents, my sister! At least I thought I did. This is really what they were doing for all those years to reel in money? Robbing and killing people for sport, disgusting. The more I ponder this new knowledge the more sense it makes, they refused to tell me of their occupation when I questioned them about it. And now that I look back it seemed we were always on the run from something or someone. These are the people I've been trowing away my life for, these are the people who I've worked so hard to avenge? This is such bullshit, all I've done to reach my goal now only to find out all the work I've done has been for nothing. But, was it really for nothing? I'm trying to bring myself to loathe them, for all of their sins. But I can't seem to bring myself too. I still love them, or the people from my childhood I thought I knew.

"Why did you tell me this, why didn't you kill me the second I failed to kill you?" I ask, I feel so conflicted.

"I would have finished you off long ago, but unfortunately a certain acquaintance of mine wouldn't be too pleased with me." Illumi replies, still planted on the rock.

An acquaintance? I immediately know who he's talking about, Hisoka. Hisoka put him up to this, but why? He could have just told me himself and this wild goose chase could have never come about. But of course he wouldn't, this must have amused him. And he couldn't have let his amusement come short could he? That bastard! Nonetheless, this is my shortcoming, I never use my head long enough to consider all of the possibilities. I just barge head first into everything, not considering the outcome throughly. Thats a horrible trait for a Hunter to have.