Twenty-Five

"The one and only," He chuckles friskly. "I have a little invitation for you, I know you like to dance."

...

"What are you on about?" I sigh, exasperated. Why would I have any slight fancy for dancing, where did he get that notion? Moreover, him calling me now only makes my vexation bubble. Hisoka normally calls when he wants something from me. And I cannot fathom what he would want with... dancing?

His voice reverberates from the speaker, "Oh-ho-ho someone's in a ghastly mood today." He almost seems to cackle, testing my temper.

Usually, his teasing would not bother me so. However, today it tickles me in just the wrong places. "Oh-ho-ho, no shit Hisoka." A weak comeback, but I cannot gather the energy to continue this dispute.

"My my, has the golden prince done something? I could take care of him you know- Ohhh the thought of his gut wrenching wails sound ever so delightful."

This... fantasy of his, makes me want to keel over. I can't bring myself to imagine what Hisoka could do to him. So I briskly I get out, "No it's not him, I have some personal dealings. Nothing to worry about." I try to make my tone convincing, "Now what is this talk of dancing?"

Although I am unable to see his face, I'm sure he's grinning, he's exceptional at spotting a lie. Wether he withdraw from this topic is up in the air. "There's a party, and I was curious if you would like to be my honored second addition."

My eyebrows raise involuntarily, "A party? Why do you want me to attend with you- wait, a better question, what's the catch?" He's not the type to invite me to something as trivial as a party, he wants something. But what?

"Well, the party has some other intriguing elements~"

"Such as?..." The things Hiskoka would consider "intriguing" interests and petrifies me all at once.

He continues, "An underground market, I believe there may be something of interest for the both of us. Well... I suppose a conjoined interest of you and another would be more appropriate to say."

An underground market? Why does he think that'd be of interest to me, I have no interest in being involved with that world. I mean, I am currently working for the mafia... but my job has a sense of security. Out in the open, filled with thousands of people, things tend to get tumultuous. Especially if objects of high value are at stake.

"Do you understand what I'm insinuating," He says.

No. I am at an utter loss. "No, I haven't a clue."

"I'll provide a hint," His voice mischievous, as if he's preparing to say something of amusement. "Scarlet beads, plucked from their cavities, a myth amongst veracious tragedies."

Although his tongues annoy me, I understanding straight away, stopping dead in my tracks. "You've found the scarlet eyes, haven't you." My words are laced with awe, a tool to ending Kurapika's wrath may slip into my palm.

"Not found exactly, but there is a rumor floating around." His voice sounds prideful, as if my surprise delights his ego. "The eyes add flair to any collection."

Any disgust that I would usually experience from his statement, washes right over me. There's a chance to help and bring Kurapika to trust in me once more.

"Do you mind if I bring a plus one?"

...

The arrangements have been made, me and Kurapika shall head to the location in a weeks time. There's just one little issue, I haven't asked him yet. The thought of speaking to him all of a sudden like this frightens me. What if my plan is thwarted? The uncertainly of human nature could play its part, for how could I conjecture his reaction? However, if my plan indeed does prove to be triumphant, our bonds could be once again, tied. We could return to our strange familiarity, and perhaps put our star-crossed luck to ease. A thought so improbable, yet so feasible with the right circumstances. The only thing holding me back from that reality, is my lack of wit. Better to attempt than to imagine the outcome, I suppose.

I go at my work, continually distracted. It's not like me to slack at my only source of income, but I have greater things on my mind. I can only wonder why Kurapika and I being on good terms means so much to me. He's a weakness I truly cannot suppress.

My fingers fumble with my everlasting paperwork, I know exactly where I could find him at this moment, and I have to hold myself from bursting into his workspace, unceasingly. Complete the task at hand, so when the time finally arrives, that will be the only thing occupying my thoughts. I force myself to focus, well halfway. Good enough for me to get my work done, at least.

...

The end of the day comes before I can blink. An uncertain fate awaits my calling. I pace myself slowly, anticipation feeding my conscience. One step after the next, I arrive at the door between victory and loss. Urging myself to twist the knob, I falter a moment. Is this a good idea? Only one way to find out... I twist the knob sharply, barging into the room.

My eyes scan the area, locking with a familiar pair. An immediate sense of tension floods my veins, I haven't seen his face since the dispute. Seeing him, I almost have to do a double take. Because oh, he looks ever so sickly. His eyes are bloodshot, bags underneath protruding from his face. He's almost bent in halt at his computer, an expression of concentration across his brow. Whats happened Kurapika? The time we had spent apart was slight, how could he have gone downhill so quickly?

Our gazes finally meet, his eyes widen ever so slightly. "What are you doing here." He grumbles, his voice hoarse.

And for a moment all I can do is stare. Seeing him like this physically pains me. "I have information-"

He doesn't allow me to finish, "I don't want to hear it Y/n." He rises from where he was previously seated, making his way over to me, by the door.

"Oh but you do," I press on, he has to hear this, us on good terms or not.

He sighs, "No I do not, we're not- I don't know." He groans, not being able to articulate what he wants to say.

"Yes, we're no longer... friendly with one another. But I have found something, and you need to hear-"

He swiftly opens the door, leaving me but a split second to catch his wrist. I dig my fingernails deep into his skin, my eyes darkening. "You will listen to me you son of a bitch, wether you like it or not!"

He winces under my grip, our gazes meet again. "Fine. Tell me."

"I think I've found a lead on the scarlet eyes."

He gapes, as if that was the last thing he would ever expect me to say. "How?"

---------------------------------------

The first chapter of 2022!

I'm sorry I make all of you wait so long! But you know, life gets in the way.

I'm really unhappy with this chapter. I just can't seem to get the pacing right. And although it's impossible, I feel as if I've lost my ability to write. Just writers block I'm sure. So I apologize if it's not up to standard.

Ily have a great day <3