Seventeen

Drip, drip, drip, what is that sound? A subdued pitter patter catches my attention, is it starting to rain?

Drip, drip, drip, "Hello doll." Oh, mommy's home!

"Yay you're home!" I eagerly say, voice filled with a child's excitement, as I jump into her outstretched arms.

Drip, drip, drip, oh it is raining. The rain is red, what a pretty color. My mommy told me where she works the rain is red, and it rains a lot there. I don't really like the red rain, it smells of rust and looks like holly. I wish mommy and daddy wouldn't work where the red rain is, even if its pretty it still makes me scared.

Of course I knew there was no such a thing as red rain, I was familiar with the appearance of blood. But my mother said everything was alright, hence it was so. Everything and anything she uttered out of her mouth was truth. Only the truths were founded on a lie, the lie that she was sincere. So I believed her tainted honesty, unable to comprehend the possibility my mother would not be truthful towards me, her youngest daughter. Although she reeked of deception, I believe my mother still loved me, as I loved her. Were the entirety of the half-truths told to preserve my life? To keep me hidden from the troupe of scoundrels, to try and keep me safe unlike how she had failed to do so for my sister? I will never know the answer, I will only be able to inquire once I join her in the grave.

---------------------------------------

As per requested, I have obtained my item for the auction. The (insert item here) was fortunately not to difficult for me to find. All that is left to do is return to the Nostrade residence and show them my findings. As I proceed to the Nostrade residence my mind begins to wander. In and out of child me's memories. It's truly discouraging to think of what I could have done with my childhood, but my chances at normality were slim right from the beginning. I wasted my childlike joy for training to become immoral. Why did I fixate on avenging my families deaths instead of overcoming the pain. I instead should have cried and mourned them and accepted their fate. Yet, I yearned for vengeance, I wanted others to suffer as I had. How could I have wish that upon anyone, to endure that feeling of numbness. In reality I needed to come to terms with my loss for myself, revenge would never heal the wounds. Now that I've finally begun to move on, the wounds have reduced themselves to scars. Scars that I hope will soon fade, perhaps they'll never completely vanish. Actually, I hope they never entirely vanish, I want to remember, not consume the fear of death forever.

Somehow I've managed to arrive at the residence, I was so lost in thought I hardly noticed. I flip out my phone and check the time, I'm still pretty early it seems. What should I do? I don't really want to waltz in early, or maybe I should just go in? But I still have thirty minutes, so just wait outside. Yeah, just wait outside. Or should I walk around. Ah I need to stop overthinking this, no one gives a flying fuck if I'm standing outside or not.

Suddenly, I notice a person walking in my direction, oh it's Kurapika. I didn't have the change to speak with him the other day, seeing as I was chatting with Melody about who knows what.

"Hi Kurapika," I say, almost seeming to startle him a bit.

"Hello Y/n," he replies, not meeting my gaze.

"What have you been up to since we saw each other last?" I question,

"Nothing of importance to you," He says in a monotone voice.

I give him a sad smile. I can see it in his eyes, the look of rage, the look of emptiness that filled my eyes not long ago. His mind is only filled with vengeance, and I am only getting in the way of his schemes.

"You can say if you don't want to talk to me you know," I say softly, it's hard not to reach out to him and tell him everything with be alright in the end. To yell at the top of my lungs that revenge won't bring his clan back, or make the feeling of loss lessen.

He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose, "I'm sorry, but I frankly don't have time to talk."

Now it's my turn to sigh, "Not even now? Work hasn't even started yet,"

"I suppose, I'm just afraid you will distract me from my goal. As much as I hate to admit it you've been quite good at it in the past."

I feel my heart twinge at this comment, he finds me distracting? "Well I'll try my best not to then..."

He finally turns his eye to me, "You seems different, less childish than when we last met."

This surprises me a little, I wouldn't expect him to say something like this so out of the blue. Also he thought me childish? I can help but laugh, "I guess I hadn't really noticed,"

He turns away again, as if looking at the smile on my face pains him, "Maybe it is best if we don't talk any longer."

"Why?"

"I don't want you to be associated with me, and to have certain people make the connection we know each other." He says quickly, walking into the Nostrade residence. Leaving me behind, confused.

He doesn't want him and I to be associated with one another? So the Phantom Troupe doesn't find out we know each other, I'd assume? Well, it's a bit to late for that seeing as I'm directly related to former members of the troupe. I saddens me he doesn't want to speak, I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself. But, I would do the same for him. That boy still holds a special place in my heart, as much as I want to deny it.

—————————————-
Hey cuties! If you read my community post you would now I'm not feeling to great at the moment. So I'm very sorry if this chapter is not as well written as the others. I wasn't sure if I could even get a chapter out today, but managed to finish it so you all could have some new content. Love you all who still continue to read this 💕