Prologue

CIA Academy of Espionage
June 16, 2022
1900 Hours

Erica's POV

The lights beamed down brightly from the rafters of the auditorium. I watched as numerous students walked across the makeshift stage towards the Principal, who was, to no surprise, disgruntled, but handing out the certificates of completion of Spy School. Alongside him was my grandfather, Cyrus Hale, and the Secretary of Staff of the President of The United States, Kimmy Strandal. All the students were showing a mix of both happiness and sadness. The teachers sat in the front row, looking on as the students they had spent 6 years with finally graduated. Some looked happy, others looked sad. It was an emotional night, but of course I would not be showing any. As the person in front of me went up onto the stage, I prepared myself. This is what I had been waiting for for so long. This is what I trained myself for since I was a toddler. And hopefully, this would not be the end of my espionage journey.

"Graduating with all honours and the award for Best 6th Year Student, Erica Hale" the principal remarked.

I took a deep breath and walked onto the stage. There was a lot of cheering and I could see many astonished looks, as if this was the first time they had ever seen me. I had dressed differently for this occasion, wearing a purple dress and curling my hair. I spotted my mom taking pictures of me, my dad looking on with pride, and even my sister, Trixie, her smile huge. I walked over to the principal who handed me my certificate and the plaque that was awarded to all the other best students in Year 6. I quickly posed for photos, then left off the stage and went out the exit to the left of the auditorium.

I walked off campus and was prepared to call my mom to get me, but then I turned around. I saw the sprawling campus that had been my home away from home for 6 years. The stoic gray buildings, the daunting forest, and the lights that lit up some of the windows. I turned around but felt someone watching me.

"Hey."

I turned around slowly. Benjamin Ripley, my partner on many missions, was standing there. I always had a soft spot for him, for some reason. I had never been able to keep up the icy persona around him for long, but I did my best.

"Aren't you supposed to be watching the ceremony?" I asked.

"I needed some fresh air" he said in a way that meant that he really didn't need the fresh air. I looked at him curiously. His warm brown eyes, medium brown hair, and slight build. His face didn't reveal anything, but I could tell that a million thoughts were going through his head.

"It won't be the same, you know," he said.

"Change happens, Ben."

"I know, I just..." He couldn't find the right words to say. I looked at him almost in sorrow for him. I knew how he felt but I couldn't betray my icy behaviour I had kept up for so long.

"This was stupid, I'm going to go back inside," he muttered. Right before he turned around, I reached out my hand. He took it curiously. I shook my hand with his, not letting go.

"With all my respect, I thank you, Ben, for the missions we have gone on together and our memories." He smiled a little, but it quickly faded.

"So this really is goodbye?" He asked, still holding my hand. I pulled him in to hug him. He smelled dashing, like he was ready to pick up a girl at any time. I released him from the embrace after 10 seconds or so, and looked in his eyes, only a few inches away from his face. I then kissed him on the cheek.

"Until next time, Agent Ripley," I said, with a slight smile so he knew I was joking about the formality.

"You too, Agent Hale," He said back to me. I looked into his eyes one last time, then turned around walking off the campus of Spy School for the final time. I heard him walking back inside, and by the way he walked, I could tell he was both happy and sad.

"Oh, Ben!" I yelled.

"Yes?"

"Be safe out there."

"Of course."

I continued down the sidewalk to where my mom said she would pick me up, texting her at the same time. As she approached, I took one final look at the campus, then turned away.

Wiping a single tear from my eye.