Chapter 21

Palm Heights
June 16, 2026
2000 hours

Mike's POV

The CIA had finally arrived. Cyrus had tipped them off and they came in full force. They had initially encircled our building and told us to surrender.

However, once Cyrus showed them the hostages and all the evidence, they quickly dropped their weapons. They all seemed in shock to see that their directors were double agents. They quickly apprehended them and took them away, with a man that Cyrus trusted.

Cyrus had also confiscate a USB drive that had double agents on it. Most were in general security, however there were 4 notable ones. The two directors, obviously, as well as the American ambassador to Britain, and the Idiot, Barnabus Sidebottom.

I watched as Cyrus finished the debriefing with some high ranking official, and told him about everything that happened. I just sat in the corner of the hotel room, staring off into space, not wanting to talk to anyone.

A CIA agent came up to me. He asked me for a debriefing, so I went to the desk set up, and explained.

I talked about how Cyrus had asked me to fly the jet out, how we had done surveillance, Ben had found out their plans, and then the bomb had gone off. I explained that Cyrus luckily evacuated the building in time so that no one was hurt (except for Ben and Erica).

I then talked about how I had posed as a pilot for the enemy, then tanked the plane into the ground. After, I explained the chase in the forest, how I had got shot, and that Cyrus and Alexander went after the enemy.

Finally, I stated that Trixie stopped them from escaping by crashing into them, and we apprehended them from there.

Finally, the agent finished his report. He said my version of what happened checked out and I was free to go. I just went back to Erica and Ben's room, to get away from things. I walked in and noticed Ben's bag. I opened up his secret pouch and found that the necklace wasn't there. He must have given it to Erica.

I went through Erica's stuff. The only thing of significance I found was Ben's old phone. I opened it and looked through all of the old photos of me and him. It broke my heart.

I still couldn't believe he was gone. I put it back and lay down on the bed. It smelled like gunpowder, lilacs, cinnamon, and oranges, an intoxicatingly good smell. I drifted off to sleep.

Ben's POV

I woke up with a pain in my head. I couldn't think straight. It hurt too much to move my head. I looked straight ahead and found a bomb.

Wait, what?!!?

What had blown up then?

Why did my head kill?

I felt my pocket. The 2 cases were still there. Good. I felt rustling beside myself. I saw Erica, who was just stirring.

Thank God she's ok.

I lifted her up and held her in my arms. Her eyes flew open, and looked in confusion.

"What?" She said looking at the bomb. Then some sort of understanding dawned on her. "Ohhhhh."

"What is it?" I asked.

"SPYDER must have had 2 bombs, one on top, and one down here. We defused the one here, but the one up top still went off. You can see from the damage that most of it came from above." I looked around and noticed she was right.

"It's sheer luck this one didn't activate from the pressure of the other."

"Well, luck isn't so bad, is it?"

"I guess not in this case." Erica got up and limped to the bomb. She put on some gloves and gingerly put the bomb into a clear, thick plastic bag that had zipper on it. She carried it with caution, not wanting it to explode on us. We made our way through the rubble and headed back to the hotel. It was nighttime. We were about to go in the parking lot when we saw several CIA agents.

We immediately turned around.

"We don't know if we are cleared yet," she explained. "We should stay somewhere else for the night."

I agreed with her. We walked to a nearby hotel called the Grand Cayman Lodge. Luckily, they had one more room available, with 1 king bed. That was fine, for me at least. We headed up and instantly realized how filthy we were. I stripped down and headed in, finishing quickly so Erica could take her turn. After we both finished, we remained wearing little clothing. Erica examined me for any injuries, and luckily it was just a few bruises. Same for her. We threw the clothes in the washing machine and hopped in bed.

I looked over at her.

"Did you ever go through my old phone?" I asked.

"I did."

"Then you should know I should have given you a present 4 years ago."

"Yes."

"Here it is." I pulled out a case I had been holding and brought out the necklace with an E and the heart around it.

She sat up and I put it around her.

"It's beautiful," she said.

"Just like you," I saw her blush and she gave me a hug.

She let go and then asked me a question:

"Did you mean what you said to me, before we got knocked out.

"Which is?"

"That you love me," she said, blushing more. She looked so cute.

"Of course."

"Then say it again."

I kissed her. She kissed me back.

"I love you, Erica."

"I love you too, Ben."

And then we fell asleep.

Sooo, they survive. I now know there will be one more chapter, and then the epilogue. Would you guys like a sequel, or a completely new book? If it's a new book, let me know what you want to see. If it's a sequel, suggest ideas for me. I'm open to anything so if you guys want another book, I will make one. You have the power here. Just let me know :)