Chapter 14

Grand Cayman Island
June 14, 2026
0300 hours

Ben's POV

We landed in the middle of the night. It was best this way, as less people would be able to see us. I quickly got off with my bags and breathed in fresh air, which felt amazing after being on the plane for so long.

Don't get me wrong, my time with Erica was exhilarating, but....

We went to security, where Cyrus flashed a fake identification he had secured, as well as us showing the ones he got us. They checked out, and the bag check went on. The Hale's had multiple ways of concealing weapons and hidden compartments in luggage was one of them. The security didn't even realize.

We got out and went to enterprise to get our van. It was a nondescript one, with a boring gray colour, as to not draw attention. We drove over to the hotel and checked in (thankfully there was a worker at the desk).

Unfortunately, they had had to make some changes to our rooms. 2 of our rooms now included 1 king bed (instead of 2 queens) while the other had 2 queens.

Just my luck, I got paired with Erica in a room with a king bed. It made sense for Cyrus and Mike to take the 2 queens, while Catherine and Alexander was a no brainer. I quickly unpacked my stuff and went to brush my teeth. I intended on getting some sleep before tomorrow. After washing up, I went to sit on the balcony for a few minutes. The stars looked amazing, and I could hear the distant crash of the waves, a soothing sound.

I was so enveloped in it all that I didn't even realize Erica was beside me.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" She said.

"It is," I replied, still in awe. We stood there for a few minutes, just enjoying each other's company and looking out into nature.

"Ben, I need to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"What's between us right now?" I turned towards her.

"It's whatever you want it to be."

"Don't say that just to be chivalrous."

"I'm not. It actually is. I'm ok with anything, Erica. Heck, I hid in your own town for 2 years without even seeing you and I still want you. It's when, or if, you are ready, we can take the next step." I could see her pondering this thought.

"I'm sorry, Ben. I must have led you in so many different directions with how I've acted. To be honest, I don't even know what I want.

Being with you feels like I'm at the top of the world, whether it's just talking or anything more intimate. But I also have a love for spying. And it's so hard for me to decide between the two.

You probably have been going crazy between my mixed signals. Just know that I'm just as confused as you are. I've never really been good with emotions."

I looked over at her. I pulled her in for a quick kiss, then let go. She jumped up, wanting more, but I denied her.

"So now you're sending mixed signals?" She said annoyed.

"Get in bed," I said, laughing. She picked up on the joke, instantly becoming light hearted. We had set up pillows between us, so we each had a half of the bed. I stripped down to my undies, and Erica wore a tank top and undies to bed. I laid down on my side, facing the pillows. I could feel her doing the same, so I moved them.

She was staring right at me.

"We don't need these, right?" I asked.

"No, we don't," she said happily.

We put the pillows back behind our heads and moved closer together. Soon, my arm was around her and her head was nestled on my chest.

"Sweet dreams, Erica," I said happily.

"Sweet dreams, Ben."

**timeskip**

Erica's POV

It was about 6 AM, and the crew had decided to meet at the buffet at 7. I was just getting used to my surroundings when I felt someone beside me. I looked over, and saw Ben's arm around me. Inside, my heart was doing backflips, but I betrayed nothing.

I got up and went into the shower, making it quick so Ben could take one too. After, I brushed my teeth and picked out some tourist clothes (of course with my spy suit underneath), and waited for Ben to be done. He came out with a towel around his waist, showing off his 6-pack. His hair was all messy, making him look even cuter. I looked away before he noticed.

He got changed quickly and we went down to the buffet together, where I saw the crew together. I loaded up my plate with a, you guessed it, salad (garden-breakfast style this time) and went to the table. Ben had gotten pancakes and hash browns, while everyone else had a mix of waffles, eggs, sausage, and the aforementioned.

The salad was very good. It heightened my awareness. I was noticing more and more. I watched Grandpa take one more bite than normal to eat his waffle, and Mom take one more scone than usual. I looked over at Ben, who was getting a cup of coffee (in the summer and in Cayman Islands, really Ben??) and the man who served it to him. He looked like Ben was his last customer. That was odd. It was only 7:15. No employee should shift like that.

Ben came back. He opened up his coffee to put sugars and creams in, and I caught a faint whiff of almonds.

Cyanide.

Ben put the lid back on and lifted it to his lips. I expertly kicked it out of his hands and caught it before it spilled.

"Hey! I wanted that!" Ben said.

"No, you don't," I replied. "That salad must have boosted my senses, since I have heightened awareness right now."

"I told you!" Mike exclaimed. I saw my dad sigh.

"Here you go," he said, handing him a $50 bill.

"Your father and I bet on if you would have heightened awareness of some sort if I slipped a drug in your salad. Looks like I won."

While I was annoyed at this, I had more important fish to fry.

"When Ben opened up his cup, I caught a faint whiff of almonds."

I saw my parent's and my grandpa's eyes widen.

"They tried to kill Ben!" Mom exclaimed. Meanwhile, Cyrus had a mischievous look.

"Well, whoever dropped that cyanide might have messed up. Meaning we could have our first lead."

I looked over at Ben. He still seemed upset he didn't get his coffee.

I was just happy he was still alive.

Wow!! 3 in one day I am proud of myself. Leave a comment on any parts you have feedback on and thank you guys for all the views and votes. It means the world to me to have people reading my story :) Chapter 14 tommorow!!!