Chapter 2

City Cemetery
June 10, 2026
1400 hours

Erica's POV

I walked through the cemetery, passing through lines of tombstones. I was zoned out, thinking about my emotions for once, and walked through like a zombie. I had already memorized the route I needed to take. After passing by a few more tombstones, I found the one I was looking for.

*Ben Ripley*
*Died 2024*

I sat by his tomb and stared. It was a gray stone type, very bland. There was a little hole on the right of the tombstone, almost as if the weather had worn out that piece.

There were so many emotions flowing through me at once. This boy, the one that I had opened up to. How could it ever be. I felt tears coming to my face. I stood up and took out the dying flowers that I had placed there months earlier. I didn't bring any flowers, so I simply picked some from the fields nearby and placed them on his grave. It started to rain, the skies darkening into a gray colour. I quickly scurried out of the cemetery and headed onto my parents house.

*Timeskip*

"Well, Erica, you were a lot later than I thought," Catherine said.

"I'm sorry, mother, I got held up with some things."

"Are you planning on telling me?"

"No, I dont think I will." I walked across the living room towards the kitchen, where my mom was making blueberry muffins. I felt her eyes on me as I walked over and took a bite out of the muffin.

"Mom can you stop looking at me?" I said with my back turned.

"Darling, I'm your mother, I know when something is bugging you and most likely, I know what it is too."

"Try me."

"Erica, you can't keep living in the past. It's been 2 years, honey. You have to move on. I know it's hard and it wasn't just hard on you. Ben was like a son to me. But the only way we can move forward is to start over."

"I don't know what you are talking about," I squeaked, tears coming to my eyes.

"Oh, darling." My mom quickly embraced me in a hug and held me, while tears poured out of my eyes and onto her. I was shaking. My emotions were getting the best of me. But more than ever, I just wanted to be held. It had been a while since I had received a hug, and I forgot how calming it was. I calmed down after awhile.

"I'm going to go to my room, mom," I said.

"Ok honey, I will call you for dinner. Your father should be home soon." I walked upstairs to my room, the kitty posters and pink throw pillows greeting me. I sank into the chair by my desk. I was spaced out until I saw the letter. It was lying on my desk. The one that Ben had given me. I opened it again. Inside was his writing:

Dear Erica,

I know it's been awhile since I've seen you but I just wanted to write you this letter in case anything goes wrong. As you know (since you probably hacked the CIA database) I am being deployed on Operation Sneaky Grizzly. This has shown to be one of the most dangerous that the CIA has ever sent out agents for. In case anything goes wrong, I will have this delivered to you.

It's been a long time since we first met. I've stared at you almost every second I could. You are the most stunning, competent, and fierce person I have ever met, and you instantly made my heart race when I saw you. I know that we would never work out due to being spy's, but that never stopped me from trying. And I won't stop trying. Erica Hale, if I don't come back from this mission, please know that you single handedly made me the luckiest guy in the world.

All yours,

Benjamin Ripley

P.S.: Open the package.

There was a small package inside of the envelope that I had yet to open. I had avoided it, but now figured that now was a better time than ever. I opened the package to find a photo of us. It was taken on my graduation day, and it was in perfect condition. It showed me kissing him on the cheek, like he had planned that to happen. Regardless of how creepy it was that he had that photo, I slipped it into my utility belt.

"Erica, are you in there?" My father asked from outside the door.

"Yes, come in."

"Hi, sweetheart." He kissed me on the forehead. He then handed me a package. "This never got delivered to you, and it should have been, so I made sure it did."

"Thanks dad."

"No problem, but I suggest opening it later. Your mother has finished dinner." I set the package down on my desk and headed downstairs. My heart felt warm and happy.

I figured it was because of that photo.

Thank you for making it here. I appreciate all the support regardless of how many of you there are. Please comment if you would like longer chapters or shorter chapters. I could probably do a chapter a day or so for shorter chapters (don't mark my words), but it would be 2+ days for longer chapters. Up to you guys.