Chapter 9

Ben's Apartment
June 11, 2026
2130 hours

Erica's POV

Ben led me through the city to a tall apartment building. We talked about our lives and what happened to our old friends, but he never explained to me what happened with him faking his death. I decided not to push the topic.

He went onto the 3rd floor of the 7 floor building. He opened up a fairly big apartment and walked in. There was a flatscreen tv, a sectional couch, and a modern kitchen with an island. I could see doors on the side that presumably lead to a bedroom and a bathroom.

"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" Ben asked.

"No, I'm ok, thank you."

"Suit yourself." Ben grabbed a Smirnoff and went to sit on the couch with me. His ruffled hair made him look so cute, and he was built, like he had been working out for a while.

"How do you have this if you faked your death?" I asked.

"I had to recreate my own identity. To everyone in public, I'm Ben Jones."

"And you have an ID and everything?" He flipped it open to show me. It was a real one, and the person who issued it must not have known he was recreating his identity.

"Ben, why?"

"Why what?" I stared at him, looking deep into his eyes. It felt so good to be back with him. I hadn't realized how much I actually missed him. He still smelled as dashing as ever. I felt myself drawn towards him, but I stopped it.

"Why did you fake your death?"

"Well...it's a long story, Erica, and I'm not sure that you would take it the right way," he said. I got up.

"Well, I have no business being here. Thanks for the introduction and it was great meeting up again, Ben."

"WAIT, WAIT Erica," he yelled, chasing after me and blocking the door. "I will tell you, just please, sit back down, don't leave. And you might want to get a drink."

"Ok," I said, happy that I had convinced him. I grabbed a Smirnoff and went to sit back down.

"Ok, so as you know I was on a mission doing surveillance on SPYDER. I was doing a good job not being spotted and had gathered a lot of evidence on them.

But the most shocking piece was what sent me. The head of the CIA is actually the leader of SPYDER. They have been biding their time and waiting and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. I know there is a list of new double agents with the director, but after that, I didn't know.

Obviously, I couldn't report this since then the CIA would turn on me, so instead, I faked my death. That way, SPYDER would be off my tail, and the CIA wouldn't even know that I had been investigating them."

I looked at him in shock. Everything started to fall into place. The director tried to eliminate my family and I. Then I had found Joshua who had destroyed all of Ben's evidence. It was a perfectly calculated plan. Something that SPYDER could definitely do.

"Wow, Ben. I don't know what to believe."

"You don't, you don't believe me?" He stuttered. I looked at him with a look.

"Of course I believe you, dummy," I responded. "You have saved my life so many times, it's not fair to disregard you. Plus, I had my suspicions."

"Well, what do you want to do about it?"

"We need to go out and find the CIA director, while also finding evidence to implicate them, and then take them down."

"Easier said than done."

"Well, for now, we don't have to worry about it. It's just us." I winked at him.

Ben's POV

Did Erica Hale just wink at me? What has gotten into her? This is not the Erica I knew...But is that such a bad thing? I don't know.

"Ben....Ben....BEN!" Erica yelled.

"Oh, sorry what?" I said

"Can you show me to the bathroom?"

"Of course." I got up and led her to my bathroom, a small but modern build. I was still lost in thought about what Erica had said earlier.

"Are you going to just stand there and watch me urinate?" Erica asked, as she took off her outerwear and was in her standard spy suit.

"Oh uh of course not, my bad," I stuttered, then promptly left.

Erica's POV

I looked at him, smiling, as he was stuttering. I loved making him uncomfortable. There was something so cute about it. Once he left, I closed the door, and went to the toilet. He had a nice bathroom. Once I was done my business, I washed my hands and looked at myself in the mirror. I washed up to make sure I looked good for him, and then left.

He was putting pillows and a blanket on the couch.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked.

"I was just uh, uhm, setting up the couch because I am sleeping there," he said.

"So I get the bed?" I asked, smirking.

"Yea, yea I thought you should take it."

"Ever so the gentleman, Mr Ripley," I said, smiling. "Have a good night."

"Thanks, you too, Erica."

I walked into the bedroom. He had a queen bed and it was nicely folded, like a hotel bed. I got in and I instantly felt warm, as well as smelling the scent of Ben. It made me happy. I stripped off my suit so I was only in my bra and underwear, then tried to fall asleep.

But my mind was racing with questions. What were we going to do about the CIA? Did Ben like me? Were my parents worried? Oh shoot, my parents. I quickly shot them a text to let them know I was fine, and was finally prepared to drift off to sleep when I heard Ben.

It sounded like he was dialling a number, but it kept going to a voicemail that hadn't been set up. I listened closely. I could hear him breathing heavily, as if he was crying. I didn't know what to do, but I heard him come towards the room so I quickly pretended to be asleep.

He entered the room and I felt his eyes on me. He took my hand and kissed it.

"I missed you so much."

He left, closing the door, and audibly lied down on the couch. My heart was racing and I was pretty sure I looked like a tomato.

"I missed you just as much, Ben," I whispered, and then fell asleep fast.

Another longer chapter. Feel free to comment any suggestions and I will definitely take them up to the best of my ability. Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the views, votes and comments. Looking to update again tomorrow but might get another one out tonight.