TIME WILL TELL (Mr. Darcy x Bennet! Reader)

Public balls were never an enjoyment for Fitzwilliam Darcy, and although he did not physically cling to Mr. Bingley there was always that sense of dread and anxiety when he would leave to dance with one of the many beautiful ladies in the room. He wouldn't ever outwardly admit that he found the women he was introduced to attractive; his rough demeanour would not allow it. Which is why when Charles brought you and your sister over to his secluded circle, he found himself providing short answers and showing very little interest to try and scare you away.

Your sister Jane was enamoured by Mr. Bingley as soon as they laid eyes on one another, and quite frankly it frightened you. How could a person have so much adoration for another in such a short time? You did not believe in love at first sight, instead, you believe that love develops over time, no matter how slow or fast, it takes more than just a single instance.

When Jane made her way towards you after her 2nd or maybe 3rd dance with Mr. Bingley that evening, you couldn't help but notice a certain look in her eye. It was much like the look your mother gets when she hears 'single', 'wealthy' and 'man' in the same sentence and this alone causes your stomach to twist in fear.

Your hands grew clammy as you noticed the direction Jane was dragging you. You made eye contact with Mr. Bingley as you approached him and his two companions for the evening and sent a gentle smile his way. He introduced you to his sister Caroline, who did nothing to hide her disdain for you as she looked you up and down. Mr. Darcy however was in awe. Not many people could force him into silence however, he feared that anything he said would make him look like a fool in front of you. That was not a chance he was willing to take, so instead, he opted for the safer option and nodded his head towards you with a polite, "Miss Bennet."

His voice was soothing, not too deep to the point it became unnerving but not quite high enough to be deemed unmasculine either. His acknowledgement of you was one of the only moments you managed to hear it as he did his best to end the conversation as quickly as possible. It was only when your other sister Elizabeth joined you that it was made clear he was not one for enjoying other's company, especially when he did not know half of the people around him. Elizabeth's arrival caused the previous chatter, despite their being very little, to cease.

.....

Both of your sisters shared very different opinions about the company you had shared earlier that evening with Jane being utterly smitten by Mr Bingley and Elizabeth expresses how she found Mr Darcy pompous and arrogant. It did not take long before you were growing annoyed at your sister's lack of filter regarding her thoughts.

"Elizabeth, could you be a dear and fetch me a lemonade? I would go myself but my feet are killing me from all the dancing..."

She glances at you seemingly unconvinced but nonetheless she makes her way towards the refreshments table leaving you and Jane alone. As you chatted amongst yourselves, you could not help but eavesdrop on the conversation between the two gentlemen barely 10 feet away. Thankful that they had not noticed either of you.

"Come on Darcy, you cannot tell me not one lady has caught your eye this evening."

"I'm afraid you seemed to be dancing with the only pretty woman here."

You look at Jane as she sips her drink entranced by the music playing in the hall, blissfully unaware of the ache your heart seems to be suffering.

"Oh please, what about her sister Elizabeth she is rather pleasing, no?"

"She is pleasing, but not nearly handsome enough to tempt me."

"What about Y/N? She is a timid thing but very beautiful no doubt."

He stayed silent. An unnoticeable blush spreading beneath his collar.

You suddenly choked on your drink causing them to both turn your way as Jane patted your back. You took that as a sign to leave, too embarrassed to spare a glance their way. As you rushed towards the exit, gloves and purse in hand, you could not help the tears that made their way to your eyes. Never have you humiliated yourself as much as you did just then. It left an awful feeling in your stomach one you could not seem to shake and one that only got worse when you heard a voice calling out for you.

"Miss Bennet! Miss Bennet wait!"

You hastily wiped the tears that had fallen and turned towards the voice. Your eyes widened slightly as you took in the sight of Mr Darcy rushing towards you.

"Mr Darcy." You nod.

"I believe I owe you an apology sir. I had not meant to be so rude."

"No, you do not owe me anything. However, I do owe you an explanation of some sorts."

"For what? You have done nothing wrong."

"I do not want you to think my silence was one of distaste. It was merely just a moment in which I was too caught up remembering the honour I had of being in your company this evening. For you Miss Y/N Bennet have been one of the very few reasons I have enjoyed tonight."

Your words seem to betray you as you are left silently gazing at the man before you. The blush in his neck spreading towards the tips of his ears causing you to smile.

"I do not know what to say."

"Then say nothing. Just accept my invitation for you and your sister Jane to join myself and Mr Bingley for tea tomorrow at Netherfield. I am sure he will be the most enthused to see your sister."

"Very well then, I accept."

"Fantastic. Now, if you do not mind, I would like to accompany you back inside for it is becoming rather chilly and I fear your gloves will be less than useful at fighting the cold."

He offers you his arm as you both make your way inside. The warmth eases the nipping of your fingers and you begin in the direction of Jane who has struck up yet another conversation with the Bingley siblings.

"Oh Y/N," she speaks softly as she notices you. She grasps your hands and pulls you towards her.

"Are you alright?"

"I am fine sister." You chuckle.

"I was just asking Miss Bennet here if the both of you would be willing to join Mr. Bingley and I for tea tomorrow afternoon."

"What a great idea Darcy." Bingley expresses as his smile widens.

"It would be our pleasure, Mr. Darcy," Jane adds and smirks at you.

.....

As the clock strikes 10, you and your sister bid farewell to both Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley as well as Miss Bingley and make your way towards the rest of your family. You collect your shawl from your mother whose inquiries about your conversation with Mr. Darcy go unentertained. You all head towards the carriages and the journey home is filled with thoughts of the one man whose heart you hope time brings you.