WISHING ON A STAR (Loki Laufeyson x reader)

The stars were bright tonight. The small clusters of light splayed across the night sky, assisting the moon as the earth is lit up for the night. You lay on the grass, looking up, admiring the peacefulness that they seemed to radiate. You have always been a night owl and you were lucky that Loki was too. It made nights like these, where silence surrounded you, comforting rather than awkward. No words were exchanged, conversation did not emerge, but you were happy nonetheless.

The grass felt cold beneath you, the jacket and jumper you were wearing did little to fight the chill. Being cold was never an issue, especially since Loki never was the warmest. He had warned you about that before you got together. You had told him that it didn't matter, having him close to you was all that you wanted. It still is.

Having him by your side made your days brighter. He had a charm that made even the most stubborn person smile. He would read to you on nights where sleep was not your friend and did so until his voice lulled you into a slumber. He would pull the duvet up to your chin and pull you against his chest. For as much as he disliked Midgardians, he had the biggest soft spot for you. You were his weakness, but he made you strong. He was always right there to pick you up when you were feeling down or take care of you when you were sick.

It hadn't taken him long to realise he was in love; Frigga had always told him about how it felt to adore someone. To feel butterflies when you're around them, to smile unconsciously whenever you hear their name. To look at them and just know that you'd do anything for them. Even if it meant losing each other.

As you lay there, eyes locked on one twinkling star in particular, your mind drifted to him. You thought about how he would have reacted to everyone beating Thanos. Maybe afterwards, him and Thor would have finally resolved their differences.

You couldn't imagine how difficult life must be for Thor; he lost his mother, father, best friend, brother and his home. He had to relearn how to live. And you? Well, you had to relearn how to love even if your heart would always be his.

It has been two years since Loki died and yet every few days you still find yourself back here, at the memorial you and Thor set up, laying on the grass staring up at the sky in the hopes that he could see you. You want him to know you're alright, that you're alive. You want him to know that you miss him more and more as each day goes by and that you spend your days waiting until your time is up and you can finally see him once more, and fall in love all over again...