IN HIS DEFENSE (Bucky Barnes x reader)

You had been in the office now for around 7 hours. You were an agent in training, however, so far despite the sparring and training you had done in the compound with Steve and the other Avengers you were yet to progress further than your desk. You wouldn't have minded, you knew your computer skills were advanced, if it weren't for a couple of agents on your floor who didn't quite understand that sound travels. Meaning every word that slipped past their lips, you heard. And you ignored it too, that was until they started talking about the blue-eyed god Steve always brought to your training sessions.

Bucky Barnes. Ex Hydra assassin turned hero. Your work crush. In fact, he was your crush out of work too. He seemed to have wormed his way into your every thought, not that you were complaining. He had been nothing short of a sweetheart. Holding doors open when he sees you coming, telling you good morning when you get to work early. Let's not even talk about his constant encouragement during 1 v 1's. He could sweep you flat on your ass and he'd still tell you what a great job you'd done. God you were whipped. And the worst part is, you knew he didn't think of you even remotely close to the way you thought of him. How could he? You weren't an avenger; you weren't even a field agent yet.

Anyways, you could handle your co-workers (not that you enjoyed working with them) gossiping about you.

"Look at her, it's no wonder Fury hasn't put her out on the field yet."

"She's always glued to that screen and if she not staring at her monitor, she's staring at Agent Barnes."

"It's so pathetic."

You were used to it. Ever since they found out about your little crush on Barnes they hadn't shut up about it. It was to be expected, it was all they were good for. The last mission they went on together went bust, they gave away their position within a half-hour of them arriving and almost got the team they were with killed. Dumbasses.

Recently, however, instead of focussing on you they had directed their attention to the metal armed veteran that walked through the corridors.

"I can't believe he's here...like how many people did he kill, and we're just expected to work happily alongside him, I don't think so" one scoffed.

"I know, I guess being best friends with Captain America means everyone turns a blind eye."

...

"Do you think he remembers? I hope he does."

"He doesn't deserve to forget."

...

You were very well aware of what he had done in his past, who wasn't? You were also aware, though, of how hard he was trying to make amends. How every day he was trying hard to figure himself out, to figure out who he was before the Winter Soldier. So, when these two agents couldn't keep their mouths shut for five minutes whilst the avengers were meeting in the conference room, you found yourself biting your tongue.

"He should've stayed frozen, maybe then they could get a mission done without having to worry about a random Russian guy triggering him."

"Imagine actually trying to convince everyone he's a good person after what he did, what a joke."

You turned to them, unable to hold your tongue any longer.

"Can you guys shut up? I mean is it so hard for you both to just sit down and do the job you're being paid to do instead of chatting shit because the last time I checked that wasn't on the job description..." you spoke out.

They both looked at you wide-eyed.

"Excuse me? Who do you think you are?"

"It doesn't matter but I know you know who I am because you've had nothing but my name in your mouth since I started."