SILLY LITTLE RABBIT (Anthony Bridgerton x reader)

The sun peeked over the clouds lighting the fields as you rode through on horseback. Anthony had left earlier that morning to watch Will's match. You had opted out of going and instead decided to spend the late morning strolling through the fields with your horse. The skies were clear and none of the clouds visible were dull on any scale, it was to be a good day indeed and a couple of hours in the fresh air would do you good, you thought. It had done, until a rabbit sped out from a bush and spooked the horse you were riding. He had risen onto his hind legs and you had tumbled off onto the flower infested grass below.

His hooves were unsettled as he swayed around you, his nerves evident as he rolled his eyes. You slowly stood back up but let out a hiss almost immediately as you put weight on your ankle. You must have sprained it when you landed. Oh great, you thought, just what you needed. You gently held your hand against the side of your horse's face, stroking back and forth until he stood confidently. You pulled yourself up using your good leg and set back off towards home. Your hair whipped around your face and had your ankle not been in so much pain you would have taken notice of the way the birds chirped from the top of the tree as the sun warmed the branches they sat on.

The horse trotted against the cobblestone roads and you spotted Anthony through the open window, his head down facing his work. His face was stoic, the work on his desk was draining but it had to be done is what he said. You knew better to argue with him about it. He must have heard your horse come to a stop in front of your house as he peeked up from his paperwork and waved a hand out to you, a small smile forming. You smiled back at him, a wave following its path. A member of the stable staff approached and took the reins from your grip, assisting you down from where you were sat. Forgetting about the injury you were sporting, you hopped down rather energetically. The shooting pain from your ankle snapping you out of your momentary bliss. The young boy who was holding the horse asked after your wellbeing, but you assured him it was alright and that he was fine to go on his way.

Anthony's chair scraped against the wooden floor in his office as he stood up, your cry of pain causing his heart to twist. He took notice of your stance as he looked out of the window and chuckled. You had evidently hurt your ankle as your posture was completely off, you were putting all your weight onto your healthy ankle and you appeared to be lopsided, he laughed to himself and made his way out to the main entry of your house. He pulled open the door and walked towards you, a smirk etched onto his face.

"I do not even have to raise my head to know you are laughing at me, my dear." You spoke.

"I am not laughing at you. I am merely finding enjoyment in how a person can be so clumsy."

He held his arm out for you to take and enclosed your hand in his as you did.

"This was actually not my fault, a silly little rabbit sprung out of nowhere and the poor horse got an awful fright. He knocked me off, but I am alright. Just a sore ankle is all."

"Let us get you inside. It appears work can wait."

"Do not worry, I am sure I can rest my ankle myself, Anthony."

"Y/N dearest...what kind of husband would I be if I left you to suffer in pain without me? I am absolutely positive if I do not stay with you your heart will also be in pain, after all, you are so completely in love with me are you not?" he led you into the drawing room and sat you on the chaise lounge. He gently pulled your shoes off and calmly urged you to prop your foot up on a small pillow. He crouched beside you, sweeping a strand of hair that had fallen out of place out of your face.

"That is true. If it were not for you I would, evidently, break into pieces..."

He lets out a warm laugh at your sarcasm and motions for you to move forward slightly. He slipped his shoes off too, and situated himself behind you, pulling you against his chest as his legs draped along either side of you. He placed his chin on your neck and snuck soft kisses on your collar. He quietly hummed and his fingers traced over the shape of your hands.

"What song is that you are humming?"

"Oh, I do not know the name of it. It is what my mother would hum to me as a child whenever I got injured. It seemed fitting considering someone cannot find themselves going a day without tripping or getting hurt on any scale of the word."

You nudged him with your elbow, and he let out a deep groan.

"Mrs. Y/N Bridgerton what on earth was that for?"

"Well, I thought it was unfair that my injury took you away from the work you were so clearly enjoying, so it is my duty as a wife to give you a reason. So, I gave you one."

"So you hit me?"

"I did not hit you. I nudged you. Does it hurt?"

"A little."

"Well you must stay with me now, you cannot work when you are in pain my love I will not let you. You have to stay and hold me in your arms until we are both better."

He pulls your face round to meet his and he plants a loving kiss on your lips.

"My love, I would never let you go if I could. I will be taking full advantage of this situation until my absence from work can no longer be justified. But until then, I will love you and care for you and my every breath will be yours until your ankle decides to forgive you and the horse forgives that silly little rabbit..."