PROTECTOR (Bucky Barnes x reader)

If, 10 years ago, you had told Bucky that he'd end up happy he would probably have punched you square in the face. His life was beyond what he ever imagined possible for a person in his position after all it's not every day a soldier is tested and weaponised by HYDRA. His past was something he wanted to forget but when the sun lowered, and his eyelids closed it's all he seemed to witness. His body would tense against yours; his skin would shine with sweat; his lids would flutter but despite the worry you felt each time this occurred you could not do anything to stop it. You could only wait and be there for him when he finally woke up.

He loved waking up from nightmares for two reasons: the first being that he could finally stop seeing the horrid images that sped through his subconscious and the other being you. You were always so gentle with him not because you thought he was broken but because after all the fighting and all the scrapes, bruises, and wounds that he had suffered (both during his past and during his present, as an avenger) you had to show him that not all touch was harmful.

His attention would always be on you when he awoke. He'd admire each feature on your face from the pout of your lips to the shape of your eyes as if it were the last time he would get to see them. All the while your fingers would delicately trace the scars across his torso. His scars didn't disturb him as much when it was you looking at them. He knew that even after everything he had done, after every injury, you would still look at him the same way. As the man who puts your favourite cups on the top shelf because he likes helping you reach them, the man who dances in the kitchen to Taylor Swift when he thinks you're still asleep, the man that calls dibs on the garlic dip that comes with a pizza delivery...

And it didn't matter if he cried or if he lost his breath because you'd always wipe his tears and help him catch it. He could say nothing and you would happily listen to the silence with him. Maybe he truly was his own worst enemy at night, but with you beside him he felt as though not everything was as bad as it seems.