sixteen

Chapter Sixteen |

I WAKE with a gasp, my eyes open themselves and I'm greeted with the harsh sunlight projecting itself through the window. I'd dreamt of home again, like I did almost every night, except this time it felt real. Once my senses get used to my surroundings, I realise it isn't real.

What is real though, is the naked body laying beside me. My eyes widen when I remember I'm naked too and what had happened last night. I'd had sex with Kai. Oh my God.

I try not to wake him as I silently flip out on myself. What the hell had I been thinking? I must've been so caught up in the emotion, the lack of sleep, the hunger, the frustration of still being here, that I took it out on Kai. And not even in the way of lashing out like one normally would. No, I freaking fucked him.

I gather my clothes from the floor and pick up a blanket, wrapping myself in it. Kai's voice startles me and nearly causes me to fall off the bed, "Clem?"

"Uh, heyyy." I say in a weird tone. I screw my face up at my stupidity before composing myself. I clear my throat and glance over my shoulder to see him propt up on his elbow, "I mean, morning."

"Running away so fast?" He questions. Kai dramatically presses his hand against his bare chest, "You wound my beating heart, Clementine."

He picks my underwear up from underneath his hips and he tosses them towards me. I try to stop a smile and catch them, "I was just gonna go shower."

Kai nods and falls back onto the pillows, "All right."

With my clothes in hand, I hurry off to the ensuite bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I throw my clothes to the floor and switch on the shower, letting the water run to itself.

Instead of getting in the shower, I move towards the mirror and push my hands harshly against the surface of the sink. I stare at my reflection. This was a mistake, a big mistake that I was going to pay for in the future.

First Klaus, and now Kai?

Klaus was out of our lives now that he lived in New Orleans, but Kai... once we get out of here, he was for sure going to use this against me in any way he could. I was done for. And having known Kai, Damon would be so insanely furious with me for sleeping with the enemy. I was angry with myself.

My eyes widen. We didn't use protection. I had unprotected sex with a murderous, psychotic witch. This revelation makes me stumble and I knock the toothbrushes to the floor making a loud bang.

"Did you fall?" Kai shouts through the wall.

"No, no!" I quickly shout back, making sure he doesn't come in, "I dropped something."

"Mkay." He responds as I pick the toothbrushes up, "I'm gonna make breakfast. Do you want some? I was thinking pancakes, maybe waffles. Or I could try something a little different like french toa -- "

" -- pancakes are fine!" I cut him off, trying to get him to leave so I can mentally hit myself without distruption.

"Okay." He says and after a minute or two I hear the bedroom door open and assume he's left.

I let out the breath I was unaware I was holding in and shed the blanket around me. I step into the shower and the thoughts consume me. I groan, squeezing my eyes together to rid them but they just won't leave. They rotate between Kai, sex, the real world, Damon, Stefan, Elena, Kai.