seventeen

Chapter Seventeen |

I SUGGESTED walking to Sheila Bennett's house instead of taking the car. Reason being, this was going to be our last day in the prison world. The last day of no other people, no crowds, no noises, no expectations.

No questions.

I'm not ready to answer a billion questions or tell of my time in this place to my friends. They're going to expect me to tell them about Kai and how we escaped and whatever else they're going to ask.

For the first time I wonder what it'd be like to stay here. I assume eventually I'll go insane and Kai will probably end up killing me at some point because we'd annoy each other into an oblivion.

"Are we going to walk in silence the whole way to Grammy Bennett's?" Kai asks, snapping me from my thoughts.

I shake my head a little, "Sorry, I was just thinking."

"Obviously." Kai chortles.

I turn my head to look at him, "What are you planning on doing when we get out of here? We've never spoken about it."

"Ah, now wouldn't you like to know." He taunts with a playful smirk.

"I get it. Murder me, murder my friends, your dad and literally everyone else." I say before becoming more serious, "But really, Kai, besides revenge, what are you going to do in the real world after eighteen years old isolation?"

Kai moves his gaze from me for a moment to look ahead. I feel as though he doesn't want me to see him trying to find an answer, "What do you want me to say? Go to college?"

My heart feels like it stops in my chest for a split second causing me to come to a halt. Kai frowns as he turns to face me, "What?"

"College." I say, running a hand through my hair, "I completely forgot about college."

"You go to college?" Kai questions with a short laugh.

I narrow my eyes, "What's funny about that?"

"Nothing." He gives a slight shrug, "Just that you're forty."

"Yes, but everyone thinks I'm twenty-one." I tell him, "And anyway, you can go to college at any age."

"So, what are you studying?" Kai asks.

"Hold on." I stop his curiousity, "This isn't about me, I have a life outside of here. I was asking you a question."

Kai exhales with a smile and begins to walk again. I follow after him waiting for an answer. I keep glaring at him and he finally caves, "Would you stop staring at me like that?"

"You never answer my questions." I say frustrated, furrowing my brows.

"What am I going to do when I get out of here?" Kai rhetorically asks, repeating basically what I had asked earlier, "I'm going to finish what was supposed to happen on the day I got put in here."

"Which is?" I question, briefly forgetting what his object of May 9th 1994 was other than murdering his siblings.

"To merge." Kai states, "And become the coven leader."

"Then what?" I ask.

"Then I'll be coven leader." Kai simply responds.

"You've been trapped in here, alone, for eighteen years and the first and only thing you've thought of doing is revenge?" I look at him with slight confusion, "I mean, I get that but haven't you thought about like doing something else?"