eight

Chapter Eight |

WHEN I wake, I'm still inside the car. I groan a little at the ache in my neck from the position I had been sleeping in. I turn my head to see Kai is no longer beside me, and through the window I see a large white house.

I unbuckle my belt and exit the vehicle. I notice Kai by the trunk of the car, "Mornin', sleepy head. You missed some great stories, but I guess we do have all the time in the world and we can go over them again and again and ag -- "

" -- you're annoying, I get it." I say to him, stretching my aching limbs. I glance around me to see the house was on it's own, surrounded by a wooded area, "Where are we?"

"Portland." He tells me.

I roll my eyes, "I know, Kai. I meant the house."

Kai pulls out a bag and slips it onto his shoulder before he shuts the trunk. He smiles at me before walking towards the house. I follow after him, still waiting for his answer.

"So?" I question as we wander through the front garden which is covered in childrens toys and bikes. As I glance around, something starts to feel familiar, and then I remember the newspaper, "This is your family home, isn't it?"

"Ah, memories." Kai says, stopping at the top of the porch steps just by the front door, "Pitter-patter of little siblings feet, witchy-woo chanting in the air, mom and dad calling me an abomination."

I cross my arms, "Why did you wanna come back here?"

"Because I can finally show it to someone. My coven goes out of there way to make sure no-one finds this but since they're not here to be paranoid freakshows, mi casa es su casa." He gestures for me to follow him, "Come on."

And before I can question anything else he's already inside so I have no choice but to follow. I walk through the hallway that is covered in blood, it's on the floor and smeared across the walls. I tense a little, feeling a shiver rush through me as I continue to walk.

I stop in the kitchen, which is where Kai is. He's beginning to riffle through the cupboards. I stand there for a moment, watching him, before I spoke, "You're lying."

Kai briefly stops, "Excuse me?"

"The reason you brought me here is a lie." I tell him, frowning, "What's the real reason, Kai?"

He continues his search, "I've been counting eclipses since I was imprisoned on this empty planet, and according to my running tally, I've been here for six thousand seven hundred and seventy seven supernaturally repeating days, so in the real world, today's my favorite day of the year."

"Which is?" I ask.

He reaches over to a wooden block and pulls out a knife, spinning to point the blade at me with a wicked smile, "Thanksgiving."

I instinctively hold up my hands in a defeated gesture, "Kai..."

Kai chuckles and lowers the knife, "So on edge."

I let out a relieved breath and put my hands down, frowning, "I wonder why."

"I'm not going to kill you... well, not yet anyway." He states, "You're my only company and I'd prefer not to have dinner alone for once. So are you going to help?"