six

Chapter Six |

"WHAT ARE you saying?" Kai asks immediately after I finish my sentence.

I turn to face him and lightly shrug, "I'm not sure."

Kai frowns, "What the hell do you mean you're not sure? What do you mean you've been twenty-one for the past eighteen years?"

I let my eyes press shut for a moment, trying to calm my racing heart. I open them again to look at Kai, "I've never told anyone this."

Kai narrows his eyes at me before frowning, "You're messing with me. You're wasting our time!"

I exhale, "I'm not messing with you, Kai. You asked, I answered. Your turn, who's Joshua?"

"No, no, no." He says, moving closer to me, still frowning, "We're not done here. You've just told me that you have been the same age for the same amount of time as me, I'm gonna need an explanation."

My head starts pounding again, "My head hurts."

"Damn it, Clem!" He shouts at me, clearly angry.

"I can't explain what I don't understand, Kai!" I yell back. I can feel the same pain beginning to force it's way through my brain. I press my eyes shut, "It's Joshua, whoever he is, he's in my head, I can hear him."

"What's he saying?" Kai asks.

"It's not English." I tell him.

"Repeat it." He says.

I shake my head, my eyes still pressed shut, trying to understand what the voice in my head was saying, "I can't."

He raises his voice, impatient, "Do it."

I knit my eyebrows together in concentration, listening to the voice. It was Latin. I try my hardest to repeat it, "Phesmatos physium calva."

I open my eyes just in time to see Kai lunge towards me and he quickly places his hands on either side of my forehead, "Angustos est magicae. Angustos est magicae. Angustos est magicae."

As Kai chants, the pain subsides and the voice stops. I take in a few breaths before opening my eyes, "It stopped. What did you do?"

"Pretty much used up Liv's magic on you, which was suppose to be used to get us out of here." He states, moving his hands off my head. His anger is still at the same level as before, possibly more, "So I'd be extra grateful to me right now."

"So why did you use it on me?" I question, "It's not because you like me, because I know you'd happily kill me, and you seem beyond selfish, so why? Because you're afraid of Joshua? Who is he, Kai?"

"My father."

My eyes widen for a brief moment and then return to normal. I furrow my brows as I process the information, along with the story from the newspaper and the fact he was Liv and Luke's brother, "He put you in here, didn't he?"

Kai doesn't answer me, instead he turns and walks towards the kitchen. I frown and follow him, "Hey!"

"What does he want with you?" I just about hear Kai mutter to himself.

"You murdered your siblings and your dad locked you in here." I say, trying to get an explanation or confirmation from him.

"You're of some importance to him." Kai continues to speak to himself.

"I assume the feelings of your hatred for him are mutual?" I question, although at this point I know he's not going to answer.

"Eighteen years ago..." Kai comes to a halt and spins to face me with a curious look, "On the ninth of May, what happened to you?"

I think for a moment before responding, "I don't remember."

He forcefully grabs my arms in his hands, making me gasp and jump in fright. Something seems to flicker over his eyes as he clenches his jaw, "Tell me what happened."

"I told you." I say in a low voice, careful not to anger him further, "I don't remember."

Kai snarls and lets go of my arms. He moves over to the kitchen counter, where he places his hands on the surface. I watch his shoulders rise and fall as he breathes heavily.

Part of me is afraid to tell him anything, but the thoughts running through my mind didn't make sense and nobody else other than my mother had known about the things that had happened to me. It seems as though I'm stuck in here with him, possibly forever, so after debating with myself, I decide to tell him.

"I was born in Portland, Oregon." I begin.

Kai's shoulders fall and he pushes himself off the surface. He turns to face me with narrow eyes and a head tilt, as though he'd misheard, "What?"

"I was born in Portland." I repeat, "And I lived there for twelve years, until my mom forced me to move to New Orleans."

This spikes his curiosity and he moves closer to me with a raised eyebrow, "Why?"

I pause, trying to think back in time, "I don't know."

"So, how exactly is this story helping?" He asks.

"I'm trying, Kai." I frown, "A lot of my memories are foggy. I just remember being there, and then not. I remember leaving someone behind, but I don't know who, or what, or why."

"So, we lived in the same city, great." Kai exhales, and then he falsely smiles at me, "That's solved the mystery. Incredible. Thank you, Sherlock."

I roll my eyes and begin to leave the kitchen, "Whatever."

"Where are you going now?" I heard him call after me, "If you're looking for someone else you'll only find me."

His last words cause my body to come to a sudden halt. My brain feels as though it's filing through every single memory I could ever have. I hear Kai's steps behind me, "What's wrong now? Forgotten how to walk?"

"Find me." I mumble to myself.

"I'm thinking our best option right now is to go to Portland." Kai says, moving to the bookshelf.

"Find me." I repeat, not paying much attention to him, but trying to kick-start something in my brain.

Kai sighs, "What the hell are you mumbling about now?"

"Those words, they sound so familiar..."

"Because you've probably heard them hundreds of times before." Kai states, pulling something from one of the shelves.

"No." I say, still trying to think, and then a tiny image projects in my brain of something I'd never seen before. My eyes widen a little, "I was in Portland."

"When?" He asks.

I spin on the balls of my feet to face him. He's now at the table, spreading out a map. I rush towards him, "May ninth, nineteen-ninty four. I remember being surrounded by trees and there was a bright light."

Kai stops what he's doing and lifts his head from the map, furrowing his eyebrows, "That can't be possible."

"What isn't?" I question.

"You were there." He says.

"Where?"

Kai's jaw clenches again, "You were there when my dad trapped me in this hell."