nineteen

Chapter Nineteen |

WE FOLLOW Elijah into a room with some cabinets filled with bottles of alcohol, several seating areas and more antiques and intricate designs. I settle myself into a seat as Kai sits beside me and Elijah grabs some glasses.

"I always wondered where Marcel would secretly run off to all those years ago." I say, "This place is beautiful."

"Marcel isn't the one who made it look this way." Elijah explains, "We had a slight renovation when we took back the city."

"Took back?" Kai questions the vampire.

"Yes." Elijah says, opening a bottle of whiskey and pouring it into the glasses, "My family founded New Orleans many, many years ago. We remained here for a long time, thought of it as home, until we were ran out of town."

I furrow my brows as I accept a glass from him, "By who?"

Elijah seems to hesitate a moment, handing Kai a glass, "Our father."

"Your father?" Kai almost sniggers into his drink, "Seems like everybody has daddy issues."

"And you're here because of yours." Another voice joins the conversation. We all turn our heads to see Klaus entering the room, "Afterall he was the one who entrapped you in your hell."

"Brother, if you're here for more arguments -- "

Klaus interupts his brother, "I'm not."

I place my glass on the table and push myself up to face Klaus properly, "Look, I don't know what you have against Kai but we're here for answers, Klaus."

"Which I will happily provide you with." He says, then his eyes flicker towards Kai before back to me, "So long as it is with only you."

I frown, "Kai has every right to hear what you have to say too -- "

He interupts me, "Then you can pass along the information afterwards. So... do you want answers or not?"

I glance back to Kai. He seems annoyed at Klaus' proposal, his tongue resting on the inside of his cheek. He realises I'm looking at him because his eyes suddenly shift straight into mine. Kai nods softly.

"Okay." I exhale.

Klaus retreats to the door and I follow after him. He leads me down the hallway and I can hear the preparations still happening on the level below us.

"I passed a bedroom with baby toys in it earlier." I say as we walk, "What's that about?"

"Is that really a question you want answering?" He asks, barely turning back.

"Do I have a limit?" I retort.

"No." Klaus responds, opening the door of a room and standing aside for me to walk through, "I'm just not sure you'll like the answer."

I let out a soft laugh as he closes the door behind us, wondering what he's talking about, "It can't be that bad?"

Klaus' head momentarily drops to look at the floor. His shoulders drop when he exhales before he meets my gaze again, "I have a child. With Hayley."

"I..." I become speechless for a moment and then realise I'd just imagined what he'd just said. I let out a laugh, "I'm sorry, I just hallucinated. What?"

"Hayley and I have a baby girl." Klaus says, "Hope."

And then my brain comprehends that I hadn't imagined what he'd just said. My mouth remains open as I try to understand what he had just told me, "Wow, I... A baby? I didn't... know that was possible."