two

Chapter Two |

LIV TRIES to wriggle free from the guys grip but fails to do so. He chuckles, looking back over at me, "I don't believe we've met. I'm Kai, and you must be the famous, obnoxious Clementine I've heard so much about. Did you really reverse your car into a fire hydrant, and then it exploded water everywhere? Ha, hysterical."

I see his hand tighten on Liv's arm causing her to gasp in pain. I crush my eyebrows together, moving a step closer, "Get your hands off of her."

Kai drags his eyes down to his hand that's wrapped around Liv's arm. I watch closely as he slowly loosens his grip until his contact is fully off of her.

"Oopsy." He says, almost child-like. Kai tilts his head to look at the blonde with a grin, "If you try to run, just remember you're a tad less powerful now I've siphoned your magic."

Kai claps his hands together and rubs them, "Right." He digs his left hand into his pocket, pulling out the ascendant that he'd obviously taken from Liv, "Let's go home."

Before I can even blink, the ascendant is gone from his hand and flown into Bonnie's. She frowns at the tall brunette, "Like hell you're coming with us."

"Motus!" She yells, thrusting her hand in Kai's direction and sends him flying out of the door. Liv runs past me and towards Damon and Bonnie, who are gathered around the ascendant.

As I begin to move, I'm suddenly pulled back by a strong force and then two hands grab my arms. I squirm, knowing it's Kai. When Damon mentioned him, I thought he was an ally, turns out I was wrong.

I manage to break my right arm free and I spin, kicking my leg up straight into Kai's groin. When his arms let go to soothe himself, I make a run for it, only to be tripped over by another force. My body harshly drops to the floor.

When I glance up, my three friends are rushing towards me with the activating ascendant and I try to stand. Kai has his hand tightly wrapped around my ankle and I try to kick him off with my other foot.

As I look over my shoulder at Kai, he smirks, "Invisique."

I gasp and snap my head back to the three who are holding hands. They look around, confused. Damon frowns, "Cleo? CLEO!"

"Damon?!" I yell back, finally kicking Kai off and pushing myself to my feet. He doesn't hear me, none of them do. But it's too late. That bright light suddenly engulfs them and then they're gone.

I feel my heart drop and shake my head in disbelief. My eyebrows crash together and I turn, pushing Kai's chest hard, "What did you do? What the hell did you do?"

He looks at me, unfazed, "Quit with the theatrics. If I'm being honest, this is Bonnie's fault. We could all have easily gone home together. I had the ascendant, Liv's magic, all the pieces fell together and then that little Bennett witch stole it. So, who's really to blame here?"

I continue to frown in pure anger, "You."

He lets out a puff off air, flailing his hands in a jazz style, "Okaaay. Ah, Damon said you were quite a dramatic one. A little temperamental too, especially for a human. But never mind, I'll get use to it."

"You're actually insane." I rage.

Kai half-chuckles, "You don't know the half of it."

I shoot dagger eyes at him before storming past him and out of the kitchen. I hear him sigh and follow after me, "Where are you going?"

"Well, I was going back home." I state, spinning on the balls of my feet to face him again, "Now that doesn't seen like a possibility, so I'm leaving."

"There's not really many places to go, Clementine." He says, stepping closer. He curiously narrows his left eye at me, "Can I call you Clem?"

I cross my arms, frowning. I hated being called that, "No."

"Well, I'm going to anyway." Kai simply responds, "Where was I? Right. Not many places to go... I mean, when your friends come back for you, do you think they'll manage to go all the way out of Mystic Falls to find you when I'm here? I doubt it."

I straighten my back, locking my gaze on him, "And if I stay I have to hear your droning voice. I think I know which I'd prefer."

Kai shrugs, "Your choice, Clem. Have a great trip. Actually, New York is pretty nice without all the manic losers aimlessly wandering around. Make sure to bring back a souvenir for your friends, although if you leave and they come, I'll kill them, so I guess that's pointless."

For some reason he seems to want me to stay. Maybe I'm his bargaining deal, me for a trip back to the real world. I narrow my eyes at Kai, "I have a few questions, and then I want you to stop talking. Got it?"

Kai cocks an eyebrows and points his finger in my direction, "Was that one of the questions?"

"Why did you keep me here? What was the purpose?" I ask, "Or are you just a complete moron?"

"Okay, are those like three seperate questions?" He questions, seeming confused or as though he's avoiding them, "Or are they just one, just so I kno -- "

" -- just answer them, Kai."

Kai takes in a breath, "You were by far the weakest target. Human, slow, oblivious. After spending some time with Bonnie, I saught out her strengths, so when I got some of Liv's magic, I knew I couldn't quite compete. So, my only option was if I stay, so does the weak, apparently adored, human."

"And the purpose?" I ask.

"They'll come back for you." Kai responds as though the answer was obvious.

"What makes you so sure?" I question, "Especially when they know you'll intrude their visit."

"Because it's obvious Damon and Bonnie think highly of you. They spoke about you a lot, I got bored of listening to be honest." Kai states, exhaling an annoyed breath as he moves towards the sofa, "It was either you, Eleanor, Stefanie or Carol."

My eyebrows knit together, "None of those names are right."

"Like I said, bored of listening." Kai says, plonking himself down on the brown leather sofa, "Any-hoo, they'll be back, and when they are, they're taking me with them."

"I highly doubt that's gonna happen." I respond, sitting on the arm of the sofa opposite, "You're clearly here for some reason, and it's obvious they don't want you out."

"Ah, but if they don't then someone dies." Kai says and then pauses. He glances at the floor before up to me. He leans forward on the chair, smirking at me, "Oh, by the way, that someone is you. Just so there's no confusion here."

My stomach anxiously flips but I try my best not to show it, "You think I'm scared of you? I had to deal with Klaus Mikaelson and his family for years. Right now, you're not even in the same league."

This intrigues Kai and he pushes himself to the edge of the sofa, staring up at me with interwind hands, "Is that a challenge?"

"Just watch yourself, Kai." I say, standing up, "We killed them a handful of times, but they're immortal, you however, aren't."

Kai exhales as he smiles, "I'm taking that as a challenge."