Chapter 6: Mistaken

THIRD POV

Days passed, everyone was on their daily routine. Finally, the day Y/N is waiting for, her favorite thing to do, visiting the animal shelter. She used to visit with Adam but since he has an urgent matter to fix, and she can't reschedule the visit, she went by herself. She visited the shelter early in the morning before it opened for regular customers. Y/N arrived at the place, and she was happily greeted by the owner.

"Y/N! How are you? It's great to see you again." She said.

"Auntie! I'm fine, Ayi. How have you been? I miss you!" She hugged and greeted her.

"All good. Let's get inside. By the way, someone came in just now. I let her in. I hope you don't mind."

"Ah really! She's too early though. But that's fine. I'm happy people came in to check the shelter too. Should I wait here?" Y/N said.

"No, it's fine. She's alone. I think she's fine having company." Ayi said and Y/N nodded.

Y/N went inside the room where the rescued animals were located and saw someone, her back facing at her. She initiated the greetings.

"Hello!" Y/N said happily, and walked towards the direction. The person looked at her though she was wearing a mask and Y/N could still recognize her.

"Xin?! I didn't know you're here." She told her.

"Hi! It's been a while." Didn't I just see you at the coffee shop? Y/N thought, but she brushed it off and smiled.

"Do you often visit here?" She asked.

"I'd love to but I don't usually have time."

"I see. Because of work, yeah?" She remembered that she is used to having at least two jobs.

"Yes," She replied and Y/N nodded. She told her that she would check the other animals and left her.

Y/N came back holding the little shih tzu, she handed it to Xin and the latter accepted it carefully.

"Aiyo, aiyo, aiyo. You're so soft and fragile. Are you hungry? Where's your mama? Let me hold you first ah." Xin talking to the little shih. Y/N was happy witnessing the person in front of her.

"I see how much you love animals." Y/N told her.

"I do. If I have energy and time, I would really like to own one." Xin told her. Y/N smiled at her. She realized that despite the fact that her multiple jobs she still manages to visit the shelter, and she saw genuineness in her actions.

"I see you guys know each other." Ayi entered the room to check the two.

"Yes, Ayi. We know each other." Y/N and Xin looked at each other and chuckled. Y/N loves to see Xin's eyes forming a crescent moon every time she smiles behind her mask.

"Good to know. Why don't you guys have some snacks first? I also prepared some refreshments." Ayi told them and Xin put the shih back. They went out of the room and Y/N excused herself to use the powder room.

"Yuxin, you told me your schedule is jam-packed. I'm happy that you visited the shelter again." Ayi told her.

"I'm happy Ayi every time I see them, they are my stress-reliever. By the way, this is from Kiki. She wants to say thank you personally, but she's too busy with her drama now." Yuxin told the owner.

"Woah! Thank you! Tell her not to overwork herself when you see her."

"I will, Ayi." They saw Y/N approaching and smiling back at them. She always has this happy aura. Yuxin thought.

"I'll let you guys talk first. I just need to do things for the shop. Help yourself okay?" Ayi told them and both nodded..

"Let's eat." Yuxin told Y/N. Y/N hummed her response.

"Xin, do you like cats too?" She asked as she took a bite of the cake Ayi prepared for them.

"I do. How about you?" Yuxin replied.

"Hmmmm. I think I would like them too but haven't had a chance to hold one." Y/N honestly replied.

"Really?" Yuxin asked Y/N the latter nodded. She would love to invite Y/N to their dorm to see Kiki's cat since sometimes she brings it to the dorm but it's as if their security will allow her. She thought.

"Anyway, it's good to see you again after the photo shoot." Yuxin told her. Yuxin noticed that Y/N was caught off guard and with confusion in her eyes.

Y/N straighten her back and look at Yuxin in the eyes again. She kept quiet as if she's examining the person in front of her. Then she tried to recall quickly how the Xin she met just now talked to her formally, how she told her earlier that it has been a while since they saw each other, and it clicked with her.

"You are Liu Yuxin of THE9." She confirmed and Yuxin nodded. Y/N closed her eyes and bowed her head and apologized.

"Meiguanxi." Yuxin knows that she was mistaken, and she still remembered the story of Y/N when they first met, that someone looked exactly like her.

"It's so embarrassing. I didn't mean to speak informally to you. All along I thought you're the Xin I know. I'm really sorry. I should have been mindful of my actions." She explained herself. Not that she did a crime to Liu Yuxin, but she's apologizing to let her know that she is sorry for acting as if they are friends already.

"It's really okay. I'm happy that you're smiling more than we last met. I guess mistaking myself for someone else is still a good thing."

"No, it's not. Mistaking you for someone else is not okay." Y/N said and Yuxin just smiled.

"You know, being an idol, I want to interact with people, with my UMs but security is very strict. When talking to them I need to be cautious, and they are too, because if we get hurt then the company will have to add more security and with that it will be more difficult for me to see them from a close distance." Yuxin explained herself.

"Don't you get lonely sometimes?" Y/N asked.

"Sometimes. But I'm used to it. I'm just happy to get to perform for them, so they can see me." Yuxin said and Y/N hummed her response.

"How do you manage to get here without being caught by your fans? Aren't they following you everywhere you go? I remembered, in the photo shoot venue when I came in, a lot of them were waiting until we finished the late evening. I even heard them saying 'Liu Yuxin mama ai ni.' That was so cute." Y/N said as she recalled the scene. And Yuxin laughed at her last sentence. They both laughed, and the atmosphere became light as if they had known each other for so long.

They talked for a good 30 minutes when Yuxin received a call from her assistant. She told Y/N that she has to go and Y/N bid goodbye to her. She said goodbye to the owner of the shelter and handed an envelope.

Y/N and the owner saw the van left. After staying for 2 more hours after Yuxin left Y/N also bid goodbye to the owner and handed the envelope too. Ayi thanked her for loving the rescued animal since then.

***