Chapter 7: Knight

THIRD POV

'Y/N let's go we'll be late. Mom and Dad are there already.' Wei shouted from the first floor while waiting for her sister to get her make-up done.

'Lai la gege' Y/N replied and walked down the stairs.

'Aiya, you've grown into a fine woman already. Gege is afraid you'll let people cry rejecting them.' Wei told her sister while ruffling her hair.

'Gege, stop doing that! I'm not a kid anymore.' Y/N uttered while fixing her hair.

'But you'll always be my princess Y/N.'

'Aiya!' Y/N exclaimed while hugging her brother as they went out and got inside the car.

----

"GEGE!" She shouted. She just woke up from her dream. She clutched her chest and tears started to fall from her eyes. It's dark, and she's having difficulty breathing. She dialed Adam's number, and it only took 3 rings for him to pick up the phone.

"Adam, are you sleeping already?" She asked softly.

"Hey, what's wrong? Have you been crying?" He heard Y/N sniffing from the other line and gasping for air. He knows what's going on and this is not the first time that this happened.

"Y/N, listen. Listen to what I say okay? Breathe in...breathe out. That's right. One more, breathe in ..breathe out." He sighed for relief when she heard her line become stable again.

"Adam, I'm sorry to call you again in the middle of the night." Y/N said.

"No problem. You can always call me. I'm just here. But are you sure you're okay now?" Adam asked her.

"I am." Y/N responded.

"Alright. I'll see you first thing in the morning. But for now try to sleep again okay?" Adam said and she heard Y/N hummed her response.

"Good night, Adam. Thanks."

"No worries. Good night, Y/N."

It's the time of the year again, Y/N has to go to the place that brings her so much pain and anxiety. She's looking at the view outside while sitting beside Adam. She closed her eyes, clenched her fists and heavy breathing was noticeable from her.

"It's been a while," She uttered.

"Meiguanxi, don't have to force yourself. Take all the time you need to heal." Adam held her hands. He has been with Y/N since the beginning.

Y/N held the bouquet of flowers while Adam had candles. They walked to the place and laid the flowers and lit the candles.

"Gege. We're here again. Sorry it took a while but see I'm doing fine." Y/N said looking down. Adam rubbed his hand to Y/N's back to let her know it's fine. Y/N has tried so hard to keep going every day since the accident. It has been 3 years since her brother left.

The accident happened when a 10-wheeler truck collided into a car on their way to a family's gathering for Chinese New Year in the car were Y/N and her brother. Fortunately, Y/N survived after a 6-month coma but her brother was announced dead on arrival. When Y/N knew what happened after waking up, she tried to convince herself that it was only a bad dream but that didn't help her.

"Wei-ge! How are you there? Are you dancing there in heaven? Can you tell your meimei that you're okay, so she won't get sad?" Adam said, trying to lighten up the mood. Y/N smiled at her.

Adam is their childhood friend. Though Adam is 2 years younger than Y/N, he acted as a brother to her every time she needed someone to count on. Adam supported her emotionally until she saw Y/N become better and better every day. He will always be there for her to protect her no matter what happened like a knight to a princess.

They offered prayers and stayed there for hours. Adam drove Y/N home, and then went to his coffee shop.

"Xiiin!" He greeted her. "How are you? Have you eaten already?"

"Yes. How about you?" Xin asked.

"Well, physically good, emotionally just fine." He talked to Xin while sitting near the counter area.

"Having a bad day?" Xin asked him.

"No, is it just that how can I make someone like me without scaring her? That makes me wonder. Anyway, we can close early. Didn't you say earlier you have a job tonight?" He said.

"I do. But that can wait." Xin answered him.

"It's alright. Don't worry. You can go early. I'll take care of the shop. I just need to rest too. Don't overwork yourself, Shark. Understood!?" Chengcheng playfully told Xin.

"Hao, hao, hao. Xie xie laoba." Xin bowed and removed her apron and folded it neatly. After a few minutes, she left and Chengcheng stayed for a few more minutes before leaving.

***