Chapter Seventeen: The Spy

"Move it!!!" Levi ordered them as the Female Titan pursued.

They galloped frantically on their horses through the forest as the Titan charged after them.

"Holy shit!!!" Gunther screamed in shock. "How the hell are we supposed to pull evasive maneuvers in here?!"

"It's catching up!!!" Eld screamed out as the Titan caught speed, only a few meters behind them.

"Captain!!!" Petra screamed over to Levi. "Engage the ODM gear?!"

Silence.

"Captain?!" She panicked, staring at him in terror.

Soldiers grappled up behind the Female Titan, engaging her.

"Rear reinforcements!!!" Petra screamed in surprise.

The soldiers screamed, unsheathing their swords and diving down at the Titan.

The Female Titan swiftly dodged, smacking one down with her fist, splattering him across the ground.

The other soldier screamed in horror as she snatched his grapple, catching him in her hand.

She tightened her grip, the soldier's screams snuffing out as she casually dropped his dismembered body parts behind her and continued to pursue them.

They stared back in horror.

"Captain!!!" Petra continued to scream. "Your orders!!!"

"It's dangerous!" Oruo urged. "Let's take it out! Tell us to engage sir!!!"

"I'll cut the bitch!!!" Eld hissed, unsheathing his sword.

"Captain!!!" Petra screamed as Levi continued to ignore them. "We need your orders, sir!!!"

"She's gaining on us!!!" Gunther exclaimed as she loomed over them.

"Let's just take her out! That's the whole reason we're here, right?!" Eld asked. "Right sir?! Captain!"

"Your orders, sir!!!" Eren yelled. "Please!!!"

"Captain!!!" Hans yelled, beginning to be angered by his silence.

"Everyone cover your ears," Levi ordered them. "Now."

They stared at him in confusion as he lifted his arm.

He shot his flare gun upward as a high-pitched sound pierced the air and they grasped their ears in pain.

The Female Titan slowed down, her pilot clearly suffering as well.

"Was that an acoustic round?!" Eren gasped in shock, holding his ears.

"Remind me," Levi stated, glancing over his shoulder at them. "What is our mission? Is it simply act on impulse in the heat of the moment? Let me answer the question for you. It's not. This squad's mission is to keep this brat alive whatever the cost. Don't forget it."

They stared at him speechlessly.

"We'll keep pushing forward on horseback," Levi ordered. "Is that clear?"

"As a bell sir!!!" Petra responded quickly.

"But for how long?!" Eren protested. "We can't keep running forever! She's right on top of us as it is! If we don't do something soon—!"

Eren was cut off as he glanced back to see more soldiers engage the Female Titan.

"No!" He shouted out. "They keep coming! They're all gonna die unless we turn around and do something!!!"

"Eyes front!!!" Gunther ordered him. "Stop lookin' behind us!!!"

"Seriously?!" Eren gasped in shock.

"Keep pace with the group!!!" Eld yelled over. "Maintain top speed or we're all dead!!!"