Reddit For Writers

In it's simplest form, Reddit is a discussion website. Similar to a forum. There are subforums, called subreddits, by category. Then each subreddit has its own rules, schedules, guidelines, etc. There are dozens of subreddit communities for writers.

Lurk first. Before you post, read the posts of others. Get a feel for the subreddit. Also, make sure to read pinned posts and rules. Some subreddits have rules set in place you'll need to be mindful of. So it may help to observe first before jumping in headfirst.

Engage in weekly scheduled threads. Check the sidebar of your subreddit of interest and see if there is a weekly scheduled discussion. Some groups will have a self-promo day where you can add your latest work, just make sure to format as directed. There are also other themed days that can help you learn more about writing techniques.

Give twice as much as you take. So for every post, you make looking for help or readers, try to engage with at least two other posts. Offering help or insight for other people. This builds community and you might just find new people to network with. Maybe a future collab or private writers group? 

There are a ton of subreddits you can join. So don't be afraid to be choosy. Start with maybe just 1 or 2. Lurk for a bit. Contribute when appropriate and get involved in the weekly discussions. 

Without further ado, here is a long list of fabulous subreddits for writers:

R/Wattpad - A place for Wattpad writers by Wattpad writers. Share your stories and updates, get advice on cover work, tips, and tricks, etc. If you can only to join just one community for your Wattpad writing, join this one!

r/WritingPrompts - Exactly what it sounds like. Writing prompts! You can post a prompt or reply to a prompt posted by someone else. This is a great place to get the creativity flowing.

r/PromptOfTheDay - Daily writing prompts, often with photos.

r/WriterMotivation - Where writers come to get the motivation to create more content and finish what needs to be written.  Share your writing motivational tips and tricks, ask questions about how to overcome writers' block, and help those who are struggling to stay motivated.

r/KeepWriting - A subreddit dedicated to helping writers improve their craft and fuel their creativity. Whether you're looking to get feedback on an idea, hear a critique, or get unstuck in a story, this is the right place.

r/Writing - Important matters for writers, news affecting writers, and the finer aspects of the writing craft.

r/WritingHub - Where writers connect. There's a weekly schedule featuring days for teaching, challenges, and feedback.

r/NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writers Month. Help and inspiration to get a novel written in a month.

r/Writers - A community of writers here to discuss and support each other. Open discussion is encouraged. Covering topics, discussion,s and resources centering around the love of writing.

r/WriteWorld - A safe place for writers to share their work. If you write, you're a writer. That's my motto. No matter what style or grammar level you can post here. This is a no-bash atmosphere. Have writing that you've kept hidden? Share it with us! Worried about what your friends would think? Share it here!

r/WPCritique - Dedicated to high-effort, honest and constructive critiques. They may feel harsh at times. Take your critiques in stride.

r/WritingCritiques - get critiques on short pieces, snippets, and excerpts.

r/ShortStories - This is a place to submit your original short stories. Discussion threads regarding existing works are encouraged.

r/DestructiveReaders - We deconstruct writing to construct better writers. *Be sure to read the rules thoroughly*

r/WritingFeedback - Looking for feedback? Want to help others with their stories or just their skills in writing? Look no further. Welcome to a community built by writers, for writers.

r/WritersGroup -  An online writer's group dedicated to the sharing and constructive peer-review of each other's written work. We hope to exploit the creative intelligence of the Reddit community to build a strong and collaborative writing environment where members feel comfortable posting their work for the enjoyment and input of their fellow Redditors.

r/ShortStoriesCritique - A place to share your short story!

r/Proofreading - Get your paperwork proofread here!

r/SciFiWriting - A subreddit for writers of SciFi. There's a monthly promotion thread.

r/NoSleepWorkshop - A subreddit for feedback/criticism on your original horror stories.

r/PubTips - Publishing tips from publishing professionals.

r/AmateurWriting - A place to share some of your original writing, participate in contests, and more.

r/FanFiction - A supportive community for writers, readers, and Redditors to talk about and share FanFiction.

r/FantasyWriters - Dedicated to writing in the fantasy genre. All posts should be about writing, editing, critiquing and/or publishing one's own works of fantasy. A weekly check-in thread which is great for meeting other authors.

r/WorldBuilding - Share your worlds and discuss the many aspects of creating new universes.

r/CharacterDevelopment - A place for writers to create and grow their characters.

r/IAMAfiction - Expose your character to the world and subject them to questioning to help flesh them out.

r/CharacterForge - Forging characters for all kinds of fictional works. From writing to games to shows — if it needs characters, the Forge will help you bring them to life!

Which subreddits do you enjoy? Do you have any to recommend that I missed? Let me know in the comments and I'll add them and credit you :)