Twitter For Writers

Twitter is filled with authors connecting with each other and getting their work seen. It can be a great place for you too!

If you don't already have a Twitter profile or want to keep your work as a writer separate from your personal account, set up a Twitter profile. 

Make the username easy for others to type, for instance, I went with JPetersWrites same as here on Wattpad. 

For your profile photo, you can use a nice photo of yourself that captures you as an author or a photo that portrays what you need. Maybe your latest book cover.

The cover graphic is the big space at the top. Lots of potential for that real estate. I use mine to put announcements of the newest available book/s. You could put a quote from one of your books. Check out other author's pages for lots of inspiration. 

In your bio, put a link to your portfolio (Wattpad). If you have more than one link you want to share, Linktree is a great way to add multiple links. Talk about yourself in the description. What awards have you won? How long have you been writing? Have you been featured anywhere? Or what do you like to write?

Next you'll want to make a pinned tweet. You write a tweet as normal, but make it extra informative. You can greet your followers there or share links to your latest works. Don't forget to add an image so it catches the eye! After it's posted, hit the little down carrot on the right and click "pin tweet." This will highlight the tweet first on your profile and will be the first thing people see when they visit your page.

Now follow some of your favorite authors. It's fun to follow your favorites for your own entertainment, but you can also learn from them by observing how they use Twitter. Some accounts you might want to follow are:

WritersDigest

StephenKing

MerriamWebster

Reedsy

Grammarly

and Wattpad of course!

Now for the tweets. You'll want your Twitter account to be active. Share a tweet as often as you can. Some poeple post multiple times daily, some post just 2-3 times a week. Retweet others. And always respond to comments on your tweets. 

Do not set up an auto DM to thank followers. Do not set up an auto unfollower report. Both of those tactics are tacky and will lose you followers. 

Do post a tweet when a new book goes live and when you update an ongoing piece. You can also tweet when you hit a reads milestone.

Do consider your hashtags. Some general hashtags writers should use are:

#writing #AmWriting #WritingLife #WritingCommunity #WriteChat #AmEditing #WriteGoal 

Engage in scheduled Twitter chats. Twitter chats are weekly or bi-weekly scheduled events where folks will use a certain hashtag to engage in discussion with each other. The discussion is usually led by one account. The chat will last about an hour. To engage, you just search the hashtag to find tweets and post your own tweets with the hashtag. You can then answer the host's question and respond to others using the hashtag. TweetDeck is a great app to help make the chat and hashtags easier to follow.

Twitter chats for writers:

#BookMarketingChat Wednesdays at 9pm EST. Aimed at helping writers learn how to market their books.

#WriteStuff Tuesdays at 9pm EST. Writers talking about writing.

#WriteChat Wednesdays at 8pm EST. Three writing prompts or questions about writing.

#WordMagicChat Tuesdays at 7:30pm EST. Weekly chat for writers to chat about all things writing.

#IndieAuthorChat Wednesdays at 3pm EST. Led by the Alliance of Independent Authors and often featuring an expert interview.

#WritersLifeChat Wednesdays at 8pm EST. Chat about all things writing.

#StoryDam Thursdays at 8pm EST. A friendly community offering help and support. All writers welcome.

#NeverWriteAlone Biweekly on Sundays at 9pm EST. Tips on writing and publishing.

How do you or your favorite authors use Twitter? Share with everyone below in the comments :)