Instagram For Writers

Yes the photo driven social networking site is a great space for authors!

First off you know what I'm going to say... make an author profile. Link to your writing, make a nice description of who you are and what you write, post a nice profile photo. 

Post regularly. Do a minimum of two posts a week. Post a photo of your work in progress, your book shelf (#shelfie), your current read etc. Check out the chapter about Engaging Your Audience for more post ideas. 

Follow other authors. Especially authors who write within your same genre. Engage with their posts and establish a good rapport. Celebrate their successes with them. Be genuine.

Use hashtags. Some hashtags that are perfect for writers are #instabook #bookstagram #AmWriting #WritersLife #WritersOfInstagram You can use these in your posts and also to find posts to engage with.

Run a photo challenge. Name your challenge and make a hashtag to match. Use Canva to make your prompt image. Keep your prompts related to your niche or your current book. Engage with users who join the challenge.

Post book review. When someone writes a review on your story or posts a comment you want to highlight, turn it into a graphic with Canva. Make sure to give credit to them and also note which book it was on.

Share quotes from books. The Wattpad app makes it super easy. Just highlight the quote you want to share and it will automatically format it with title and author name. Other reading apps do this too!

What other things can you do on Instagram to help promote your book? Let us know below :)