Pinterest For Writers

Yes. Pinterest. Mhmm. I'm not crazy. Pinterest CAN be used to help you find readers and network with authors. Here's how...

Create an author account. Separate from your personal account. Make sure to only pin what you want your readers to see ;) Also, make sure the profile is set up with links to your writing.

Set up some boards. You should first have a board dedicated to your work. Pin each of your books to this board. Links to the actual page where they can be read. Make sure the image looks nice, it should be all book cover. Now make this board the featured board on your profile. It will always display first when someone visits.

Your next board should be for your latest book. Give it some categories like quotes, images, reviews, similar books, and an inspiration board. Fill them up with a dozen or so pins each to start. Then add more pins naturally over time. Try to add at least 1 pin a week to keep it active.

You can create a board for each book you have, then have categories (like subfolders) within those boards. So for instance you have a board called Cinderella, then in that board there is a category for each character, an inspiration board, etc. Get creative and help your readers see yoru story in new ways. You can also have general boards set up to pin things related to your writing. Like if you're a fantasy writer, you can pin cosplay, playlists, fairy pics etc. Just a note, when you pin things, you can add your own description or comment. For example, if you're pinning an old rusty car that the body was found in, say that and then cite your book name and author name. It might get repinned onto a completely unrelated account but lead a reader back to you!

Do you think Pinterest is good for writers to use? Why?