it would've been fun

"But we were something, don't you think so? Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool. And if my wishes came true,
It would've been you." - the 1, Taylor Swift

"I'm gonna miss you."

You giggled into the strong arms you were wrapped in securely. The scent of your girlfriend encompassing you until you couldn't think about anyone else but her. You have a sneaking suspicion she did that on purpose.

"Did you just scent me?"

"Would you be mad at me if I said yes?"

"If I wasn't about to get on a plane for the better part of a day then I'd say yes. But you're off the hook for this one occurrence." You pulled yourself out of her arms.

"If anyone bothers you, call me and I'll be on a plane as soon as I can."

You sighed heavily. No one was going to bother you. Not even who your girlfriend was most definitely worried about.

"Mackenzie. You have nothing to worry about. Hope and I dated almost five years ago. She's not going to bother me."

"I just don't want her thinking she has any claim over you."

You shook your head again. That was one of the reasons you broke up in the first place. She didn't act like she was yours even when she was.

You swallowed, "Like I said. You have nothing to worry about."

Mackenzie didn't seem to believe you but she nodded despite herself.

"Call me when you're able to."

You nod, kissing her one last time before watching her exit the airport. You then went through security, quickly. It had been 5 years since you had been called up but you were still an expert at airport maneuvering.

You sat in the waiting area. You didn't intend to, but before you can stop yourself, your mind began to race.

You thought about what was waiting for you in Santa Clara. The flight from Orlando to San Francisco would be about 6 hours. Then, you would have about an hour drive from San Fran to Santa Claram. Meaning, this was your time to prepare.

Most of your teammates weren't complete strangers. Especially people like Alex. You two had pretty much spent the last few years in separable.

But then again, you hadn't spent much time with them lately. You hoped they hadn't moved on without you. You hoped they wouldn't expect things from 2014 you.

Time changes people and you were a much different person than you were back then.

Back then you were still pretty much a kid. And maybe that's one of the reasons why you and Hope hadn't worked out.

Hope Solo.

And while you were maturing, she became some sort of legend.

And you were just you.

You weren't worried about seeing her again. You trusted yourself. You didn't think you necessarily needed to trust her.