you know what I'm thinkin

"The distance and the time between us, It'll never change my mind. 'Cause baby
I would die for you." -Die For You by The Weeknd

You hadn't talked about whether you were going to tell the team or not. Alex knew, but that was only because she had caught the two of you outside Hope's room kissing. Telling her "these are not the droids you're looking for" didn't work for some reason.

You've finally gotten to participate in the games. Were you contributing nearly as much as Alex or Pinoe, or now Rose? Nope. But it was the thought that counted.

Hope was being...well Hope of course. She never needed anyone to monitor her on the pitch. And yet, you can't help but just stare at her.

"You're drooling."

You flinched, looking over at Kelley with a glare, "No I'm not."

"Yes you are. You're so obvious. This is exactly why the fans ship you two." Kelley tsked.

"They also ship you and Hope and you and Alex. What's your point?"

Kelley frowned, "Well...some of them are more right than others sure...but you get what I mean! If you're trying to keep this to yourself you should probably stop staring at her when the action is happening at the other end of the pitch."

Kelley had a point. You almost gagged just thinking that.

But you couldn't help it. She was just so...her! You couldn't explain it.

"Ugh fine."

Kelley hummed, "Speaking of shipping. Have you read any of the fan fiction?"

"What?"

"You know, the fan fiction about you and Hope? It's surprisingly good! The edits are too. You stare at each other a lot."

"Kelley. Have you been reading fanfic about Hope and I?" You have to bite the inside of your jaw to keep from laughing.

"What!? It's good. Your love story is so awesome, like that time Hope rescued you from your stalker, or that time you gave her your kidney, or when she saved you from getting hit by a bus."

"None of that happened Kelley."

"I know that. But it's so much fun to pretend it did."

You choked on a laugh, "You're insufferable."

"If you think I'm insufferable you'd hate how the fans wrote Mackenzie. They hated her. They made me hate her. They're really good writers."

You shook your head fondly, "As long as you aren't reading any smut."

"...huh?"

"KELLEY!"

"It's apart of the story! This is art we're talking about you can't just consume bits and peices. You have to absorb the whole thing!"

"Changing the subject! Why are you single?"

"Wow. I didn't know you hated me that much."

"Oh hop off it. I'm serious. I want you to be happy too and Hope is going to get annoying if you're still single by the time we're 50."

"Isortalikebeckyidontknow."

"Since when are you bilingual?"

"I said: I sorta like Becky. It's not that big a deal."

"Not that big a deal?! Well considering Becky has been in relationship since we were born, it is a bit of a big deal."

"Why do you think I don't want you to make a big fuss about it? I saw what being stuck between two alphas did to you. I don't want to do that to her."

"Well. That's very noble of you, but one of the things that made me feel worse was people making decisions for me. Don't make that decision for her. Talk to her."

"Okay...but you ended up with your ex."

"That's because Hope and I are soulmates. She's the 1. I can't seem to get rid of her. I tried for 5 years and she came right back. Becky has been with that dude since college and they still aren't mated. Call me crazy but I think you've got a solid chance."

Kelley just looked at where Becky was standing on the field. A determined look crossed her face, "Maybe you're right."

"I'm always right. But don't do anything right now, we've got a world cup to win."

~•~

Maybe it's because you're high off victory or maybe it's just because she's her and in front of you but you can't help but launch yourself into her arms.

You don't really care about any of the cameras flashing around you. Or the yelling and screaming. You just care about Hope and the cute confused look on her face when you kiss her.

"Uh what was that for?"

You roll your eyes, "Winning. And because I love you."

"Hm, the shippers are going to get a kick out of that."

"What is up with you and Kelley and shippers?"

"I don't know, the writing's good."

"Hope!"

"What? I found it extremely sexy when you gave me your kidney. They never pointed out what happened to my second one so I guess I just have 3 kidneys now. The more the merrier I'm sure."

You rolled your eyes, "Don't tell me you're reading the smut too."

"It's great inspiration." Hope shrugged. You began to walk away from her, you might as well congratulate your other teammates while she's being weird.

"I'm kidding!" Hope grabbed you before you could get any further.

"No you're not."

"No I'm not, but it's the thought that counts. Anyway, you said you kissed me for winning...that means you owe me a lot of kisses for those wins you missed."

You tapped your chin in faux thought, "Maybe later." You then began to walk away again, you really did need to congratulate your teammates.

"Hey."

You turned toward Hope curiously.

"I love you too." She managed to huff out. You watched as Kelley jumped on her back. Almost taking the both of them down.

You did little to hide your smile. There wasn't a need to anymore.

"Didn't I tell you two to stop being gross in public!?" Kelley hollered.

"I thought it was obvious we weren't going to heed your warning."

"Ugh! Gay people! They never listen."

~•~

A.N. Next chapter is the epilogue!