oh, please don't let me fall

"But what if I, what if I trip? What if I, what if I fall? Then am I the monster?
Just let me know." -Monster by Shawn Mendes ft. Justin Bieber

"You look...bad." Alex said as you walked up next to her.

You rolled your eyes so hard you assumed they would fall out on their own accord.

"Is that how you got Christen to date you? Your unwavering charm?"

Alex pursed her lips, "No. I talked to her like a sane human being. I understand that you wouldn't know anything about that and how it could seem confusing."

Ignoring Alex, you bounce lightly in your cleats. The green grass of the displacing itself as you bounced. For the first time in about a week you actually felt motivated for some reason. An extra burst of adrenaline seemed to be running through your veins.

Alex angled her hand in the direction of the other side of the field, she frowned lightly, "Didn't know she would be working while we were here." You turn your head in the direction of Alex's gaze with a raised eyebrow.

Mackenzie is on the sidelines facing a camera, presumably commentating on the games. You can't help but glance around for Hope. Praying that they stay as far away from each other as possible. Luckily, when there's a soccer ball to be stopped, you never have to worry about Hope Solo being anything but focused.

"I didn't know either. Not surprised though, you know she gets antsy when she's bored. She got approved for a transfer to Fox Sports before we left the states." You suddenly launch into a series of stretches to keep from fidgeting uneasily.

"Why didn't I know that either?" It's accusatory. And you only shrug.

"Because I didn't tell you."

Alex sighed, "Just break up with the girl, Y/N. You're destroying yourself and her just dragging it on like this."

If only it were that easy.

"I can't get back together with Hope."

Alex eyed you with incredulous pity, "No one said you had to. But considering that was the only next logical step to you, clearly shows that you want to."

You shake your head, not in denial.

"I know you have this idea that Mackenzie is the safer option. But why sacrifice your happiness, Y/N. You're making this way harder than it needs to be. It's not fair. It's not fair to you, Mackenzie, or even Hope. Hell. It's not fair to the team. You've been playing like shit since we got here. And I'm sure you know this, but now is not the time to play like shit."

You swallow harshly. All that adrenaline in your bloodstream rushing straight to your heart. And like out of a cheesy rom com you can feel both Hope and Mackenzie glance at you at the same time. Like they know what you're talking about. Like they're telling you it's time to choose.

"What are you so afraid of, Y/N? Happiness isn't rocket science."

Alex was right. You knew that. You knew all the answers to her asked and unasked questions. You had for awhile.

What were you so afraid of?

The last five years repeating themselves.