Bonus Ep6: Monalisa Smile

A crisp cold Sunday morning with sunshine in March would make everyone a happy feeling. Yet, today, Cho Choel Gang, as the school director of Achuil Primary School walked into the soccer field where the annual parent sports day would be held, felt something looked unfamiliar.

There was a long line of female, mostly the kids mom, waiting for the restroom. Instead of wearing comfortable sportswear, their faces were full of make up and hair were styled. Are they having an airline cabin crew interview? Cho Choel Gang wondered.

"Pass me the mirror."
"Can I borrow your mascara?"
"Pass me the hair roller."

Cho Choel Gang walked inside the sports day with questions in his head. He hoped he would get more participation, and perhaps some big donations from the wealthy parents today.

🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅🥅

One week prior....

"Why Min Hyeok is not coming out of his room?" Min Tae Gu asked Min Ju.

"He's been hiding in his bed since he came home." Min Ju replied while doing her homework on the warm foot table.

"Hey, Min Hyeoky, are you not feeling well?" Min Tae Gu wntered the bedroom and saw the boy hiding under the duvet.

The boy shook his head but still would not face him.

"Care to tell ajusshi?" He asked.

"No, you can't do anything." Min Hyeok weaned.

"Why not?"

"Because you are just ajusshi." The boy replied.

"Huh?"

".... ajusshi can't join me...."

"Join what?"

"The parent sports day..."

It seems like Min Hyeok was quarreling with his classmate today. There will be a boy's three-legged race in the upcoming parent sports day. The boys in Min Hyeok class teased him that he can't join the race with an uncle, it's supposed to be a race with your dad.

For a small 7 years old kid, this is quite an embarrassing tease and worrisome bully, Min Tae Gu thought.

He sat down on the bed.
"Remember the cartoon we watched the other day? When the turtle thing that fought the enemy and it transformed after gaining enough experience, what was the name Zenikarma?"

"No! It is a squirtle and its name is Zenigame!" Min Hyeok defended his favorite pokemon character.

"Yes, right that, so that means when you get enough score, you got an upgraded. Am I correct?"

Min Hyeok agreed by nodding.

"So, ajusshi will be upgraded after I got enough scores. Your eomma will let me upgrade to be your appa soon. How about you tell your friend I am your appa?"

"And will you really become my appa? For real?" The boy asked excitedly.

"If you like, of course we can."

"So, from now when you come to pick me at school, I can tell all my friends mom that you are my appa?"

"Yes, you can. But why are they asking?"

"They were very kind, when you are not arrived at school yet, they always offer their phones to call you, but I still wanna play more so I told them it was ok."

"Well, from now you can tell them, your appa will pick you up soon and don't forget to thank them." He rubbed his son head.

" Ok. Appa." Min Hyeok woke up from the bed and hug Min Tae Gu's waist. He smiled to himself. He never knew how much happiness he could feel just to hear a kid call him a dad.