One For The Road

They were halfway in their journey when Lola woke up from an impromptu nap and lifted her head from Alex's shoulder, having fallen asleep against him. She hadn't realised she'd been tired, but the excitement and thrill of their recklessness had clearly taken its toll and the overwhelming relief that she had felt in her body when climbing into the car beside him had overwhelmed her need to stay awake and think it all through. She yawned and stretched her neck, her decision and need to be as close to him as possible having prompted stiffness and cramp, along with a sense of calm and serenity.

Lola had been dreaming of a desolate beach somewhere, of an endless sky, a rippling tide, the colours bright and vibrant. She could practically feel the sand beneath her toes, had felt Alex's arms wrap around her from behind, his incomprehensible tipsy giggles in her ear echoing even now and she tried to hang on to it, but it was fading fast. The dream seemed nostalgic, though she was sure she'd never experienced it but she wasn't sad as the haze finally lifted from her mind because somehow, reality was even more stunning.

The sun was bright outside the windows, the glare bouncing off the glass making her blink sleepily. She tried to make sense of passing road signs but they were driving too fast for her to pay attention. Lola had no idea where she was, where she was going, where she would be sleeping that night or what the plan was beyond that but Alexander was beside her, holding her close, his fingers sleepily drawing patterns into her skin and it was all that mattered.

He had zoned out too, was quiet and reflective, his eyelids fluttering as he fought to stay awake. His features were dipped in beaming sunlight, his head resting against the window and she studied the curve of his nose, the natural pout of his lips, his sheeny skin which she wanted to kiss and caress. Despite knowing she wasn't dreaming now, that this was real, there was still surprise that he was here, or rather that she was, that his warmth was surrounding her, his scent, the cologne she'd told herself not to get attached to was filling her lungs and she pressed herself closer to him in delight.

Alex's lips parted and a soft, sleepy hum of appreciation fell from between them. He squeezed his arm tightly around her again. Her perfume enrobed him, made an emotional smile twitch in his otherwise still features and he was sure he'd drift off into a deep sleep with her in his embrace but just as they both got comfortable again, Lola's nose buried back in the crook of his neck, she gasped and pulled back, having remembered something urgent.

"Alex?" she whispered.

It took him a moment to register her voice, to summon the energy to lift his head, but he turned slowly to face her, a smile pulling into his lips at the sight of her.

Lola caught her breath as she found the eyes she knew she was falling for, the light and softness in them prompting a low hum in her throat as he blinked back at her. He was dreamy, his hair slightly messy and she longed to smooth it back, to be alone with him again, to make promises she'd held back over the course of the weekend.

Alex wasn't sure how he ever thought he could leave Lola behind, how he'd walked away in the first place, impossibly obsessed with knowing her, of having more of her, wanted to learn her so well that he could read her mind, so that he would always be able to provide what she needed. Her skin was perfect in the light, dazzling, her plushy lips pressed together in thought and he furrowed his brow at her expectantly, impatiently.

"Mmm?" he mumbled, tucking flyaway hairs behind her ears as he sat up, smoothing it through with his fingers. "Yeh alrehyt, Lo?"

Unlike his, her bright, green eyes were wide, beset with alarm and Alex worried for a split second that something was seriously wrong. His heart tore at the thought of her regretting something, of her having had a change of heart but she was speaking before he could jump to a conclusion.