(chapter two [now])

The piping hot water ran down my back, burning, as I sat on the floor of the shower. Today was a "Fresh Start" according to my mother, but I just wanted to go home. It's been almost a year since Akata left, and my mother thought it would be best if I started over at a new school.

"It'll be like nothing even happened Y/n! New friends, New teachers, and remember that going to a new school, it's like you get to make a whole new life for yourself Y/n, trust me." That was what she had told me last night, but I didn't think that it was going to happen.

"Y/n!! let's go! do you really want to be late on your first day? come on!" said my mother as she pounded on the door of the restroom. Of course, she didn't actually want me to answer her question, and the answer really was quite simple. Yes, I did want to be late. In fact, I didn't actually want to go at all. But did I have a choice? No. Simple as that.

                                                                                      ➳➳➳➳➳

My mother's car was as much of a shitbox as it could be. The frame was rusted out, and the heat or air conditioning didn't actually work. Which was just the first impression I wanted to make. The poor girl. Yay. The new school's uniform consisted of a white button-down, a navy blue overcoat, and a big red bowtie. Yeah, a fucking bowtie. Who the fuck wears bowties? The black pleated skirt I had to wear was a size too small, and itchy. I wore leggings underneath it, just to have some decency. We pulled into the school parking lot, and I couldn't help but be overwhelmed. 

The buzz of everyday social life seemed to stop in its tracks as I stepped out of the car, of course it did, a shitbox car pulls up, and a new face steps out of it? I would turn and look too. Except now I'm on the receiving end of the stares. Everyone at this school looked like wealthy pricks. The girls wearing Thigh Highs, and expensive earrings. Most students had some sort of designer apparel, as long as it didn't interfere with the dress code.  Even the parking lot was filled with nice rides, the student's Mommies and Daddies definitely bought their lovely kids' sports cars. I hugged my mother, and made the Walk Of Shame to the headmaster's office. At this rate, I'm going to be late for my first period, once again, an amazing first impression. 

My first-period class turns out to be a lovely hour and a half of College Prep Algebra. Which I'm already ten minutes late for. Just splendid. Now that the halls are empty, I could make a bee-line straight for the classroom. As I stepped into the class I noticed that the teacher was only just starting attendance, and there was only one empty seat, all the way in the back. Next to the empty seat was a boy with hair that looked like it was bleached a while ago, and his roots grew out. I sat in the chair, and turned to look at him.

"Hey, I'm L/n, isn't it a lovely thing to be late on your first day?" I said in a sarcastic tone.

"Y-yeah, I suppose,"