𝟸𝟾.

warnings: mentions of death
this chapter is short, and it is the last full chapter before the epilogue, but i hope you guys like it :)

Spencer sets Sulley's food down on the floor, the gray cat rubbing up against Spencer's leg before settling in front of the bowl, chowing down on his food

Spencer sets Sulley's food down on the floor, the gray cat rubbing up against Spencer's leg before settling in front of the bowl, chowing down on his food. Spencer chuckles, shaking his head before grabbing a cup of a shelf, filling it with water from the Brita. He exhales slowly, leaning back against the counter and taking a sip.

A few days have passed since Y/n got discharged from the hospital, and Spencer's practically living with her to help her during her recovery. He didn't mind—she needed help anyway while her incision was healing. He'd moved the TV into her bedroom so she could watch it, and he helped her shower and slept beside her at night. He'd been feeding Sulley and cooking—even though he can really only cook chicken and spaghetti.

She's doing a little better every day, and along with the physical healing, she's been having to deal with her emotions as well. She explained to him that part of her felt guilty for killing Owen—and in reality, anyone would feel guilty. He had tried explaining to her that it was natural for her to feel that way, and eventually, the guilt would fade away. She's been crying a lot, but Spencer didn't mind. It's all just a part of the healing process.

A small cry pulls him out of his thoughts, and his head whips toward the bedroom. Y/n fell asleep a couple hours ago, one of the many naps she'd taken today. She'd been quiet so far, but the sound he heard caused his anxiety to spike. Setting the glass down on the counter, he heads into her bedroom, his eyes adjusting to the dim lighting.

Y/n is laying on her back, and as Spencer approaches, he can see small tears running down her cheeks. Soft sobs slips past her lips, and Spencer's heart drops as he kneels down beside the bed. She's having a nightmare—a really bad nightmare. He sets his hands on her shoulders, shaking her gently.

"Wake up, angel, you're having a nightmare," he whispers, not wanting to jolt her awake.

After a few seconds, her eyes flutter open, and she inhales sharply through her nose. Her eyes flick around the room, tears still streaming down her face as they settle onto Spencer. She sits up quickly—too quickly. She winces as she agitates her incision site, her hands fumbling to find Spencer.

Her hands find his shirt, clutching it as Spencer brings his hands to cup her face, swiping away at the tears on her cheeks. She wraps her arms around his torso, pressing her face into his chest. He holds the back of her head, running his fingers through her hair slowly.

"It was just a nightmare, angel," he murmurs. "You're okay. You're here with me."

She nods against his chest, and Spencer can hear her sniffle before she lifts her head up, wiping underneath her eyes quickly.

"Sorry," she mumbles, averting her gaze.

"Hey, it's okay, you were having a nightmare," Spencer tells her. "You can't control that."