EIGHT

BEFORE
CATALAINA KITTRIDGE

I finished my second year of university in the spring of 2012, just as Holden and Will were graduating from NYU. Will had been applying to medical schools. I was so proud of him for working hard and accomplishing the goals that he set for himself. I sat at their graduation, clapping my hands, smiling from cheek to cheek, an enthusiasm radiating so deep from inside of me that it could have been for myself.

We decided that it was time to celebrate. The three of us stayed in New York City that weekend and the boys showed me around. They took me to all of their favourite spots. We ate at expensive restaurants, living in the allusion that we were better than we actually were. Will had recently broke up with yet another one of his many girlfriends and was currently on the hunt for someone new. I told him I'd be his wing woman.

On the Saturday night, we went out to a club downtown. I had recently turned 20 and had obtained my first fake ID. It seemed to be working so far.

Will and I sat in the lounge area, sipping our drinks, surveying the club. Holden was off somewhere, talking to a blonde he'd been chasing for the majority of the night.

"So what are your plans now, Mr. University Graduate?" I said, tilting my head at him as I held the straw between my teeth.
"Well, the next step is med school."
"And... you've been accepted to every school you've applied to," I said. "So have you made your decision yet?"
"I have," he smiled at me as he took a drink from his glass. "Honestly, I was waiting to tell you to surprise you, but hell, might as well just tell you now."
I stared at him wide-eyed, eagerly awaiting his answer. "Well...?"
"I'm going to the Yale School of Medicine."
My jaw dropped. "No way! Will, that's amazing!"
He took another sip from his drink. "And you know what the best part is?"
"What's that?"
"It's in New Haven, which is only a twenty-five minute drive from Bridgeport."
I stared at him, unsure of what to say.
He smiled at me. "Now I'll be even closer to you."

We left New York City on Sunday and drove back to Bridgeport. My brother was doing an internship for a law firm in the city, and Will wanted to visit the campus in New Haven. I went with him that week. We walked around the property, talked to professors, got a feel for the place. He really liked it. In fact, he couldn't wait to live there.

I was so happy for him. And not only happy for him, but happy for myself as well. Because this meant that my best friend would be closer to me. He could drive up to UB and see me practically anytime, or I could go down to New Haven and visit him.

Will deciding to go to Yale's School of Medicine was probably the best thing that could have happened to us. But little did I know at the time, this decision would eventually change everything.